Which Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I might be getting some funds available to me and I would like to start gathering equipment to go all grain.

I am trying to decide on which brew pot to get next. I want the ability to directly heat the MTL.

I already have this eight-gallon kettle. Heavy Duty Brew Kettle (32 Quart/8 Gallon) | MoreBeer.
I do not plan to go any larger than 5-gallon batches. I do not keg and have no desire to do so; I bottle all my brews. To bottle anything larger than a 5 gallon batch is logistically not possible, not to mention a royal pain in the butt.

I am looking at a Blichmann Boilermaker 10 gallon, or this one, Stockpot - 40 Qt. Stainless Steel Clad - Brewpots & False Bottoms - High Gravity

The Blichmann is more expensive but by the time you add the thermometer, sight glass, ball valve to the other one, you are almost up to the price of the Blichmann.

The other thing is for a MLT they are opposite in dimension. What I mean is the Blichmann is 16.5 inches tall x 13.8 inches in diameter, and the other one is 12 inches tall x 16 inches in diameter. I think the taller one would be a better grain bed and give better efficiency.

Or, should I not use the Blichmann for a MLT and use the other one for the MLT and the Blichmann for the HLT?

I would go with the Blichmann as a boil kettle. It will give you great service with very low boil over probability. I would go with a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler for a MLT.

You will be able to make great beer with the two.

I have a 30G Boilermaker I'm using as a MLT with the stamped false bottom. I only have two batches on it, but I like it. I am able to run the pump at almost wide open for vorlauf without compacting the grain bed (yet). The Brewmometer and site glass are really nice as is the three-piece ball valve.

My only complaint about the Blichmann is I think it should have been a heavier duty pot for the price I paid for it. I'm comparing it to two B3 HD 26 gallon kettles. The Blichmann does not have a clad bottom and has thinner walls. For the money, I think it should have had a clad bottom. The B3 kettles look and feel like they could repel small arms fire but the Blichmann just has a somewhat flimsy feel to it. Again, just my opinion.

With the thin bottom and the big burner I have, I wouldn't want the Blichmann for a boil kettle for fear of scorching and/or over-caramelization. But as a mash tun.... I'm not replacing it anytime soon.

Back