Which fermintation vessel to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

Reaction score
Looking at getting a new fermenter for my 5 gallon brews and got it narrowed down to these three:

6 gallon Better Bottle
pros:
smooth plastic
cons:
small opening
still have to siphon

6.5 gallon Big Mouth Bubbler siphonless
pros:
big opening
cons:
lots of nooks and crannies, harder to clean
valve can leak
beer has to flow through a valve that's been sitting for 2-3 weeks, is it sanitized?

Speidel 7.9 gallon fermenter
pros: plenty of head space
wide opening
smooth plastic, easy to clean
cons:
same valve issues

I know that I don't want glass, for safety, and I'm not a big fan of the plain old bucket. Any suggestions?

Well, if you don't like buckets, the speidel would be good. but plastic is plastic, so don't scrub them with something rough. Don't stack plastic fermenters one inside the other, or scratches may form that ruin them as fermenters. i like the short, wide 6.5 gallon buckets with spigots myself. As long as the spigots are cleaned & sanitized after/before every use, all's well with them.:mug:

You'll get a lot of different opinions on this subject. Ultimately you'll need to sort through them all, take what seems right to you and discard the rest. I will share my .02c worth and you can take it or leave it as you like, but that is how it is intended. :)

Personally I don't like plastic at all. Yes it is cheaper and lighter. But it does scratch and needs replacement more frequently than glass or SS. Buckets are easy to lift and move around and they don't let light in. With that in mind the ultimate fermenter is the SS Brew Bucket.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/ss-brewtech-brew-bucket-stainless-steel-fermenter.html

If you don't mind dropping 2 large for a fermenter you will have about the ultimate that is currently available to the home brewer.

Personally I prefer glass because it is absolutely sanitary and, if you are reasonably careful, most of the products being offered are pretty rugged. I do not like carboys because they are awkward to handle while cleaning. I do like the BMB EVO2. With a BrewHauler carrying strap it is easy and reasonably safe to move around. There is a discussion about this fermenter at the thread below. The discussion is a carry-over from an earlier thread and has been going on since the first BMB was introduced.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=539160

But again, read what others post, make up your own mind then pay your money and make your choice. All have benefits and all have flaws...and fortunately, they almost all will make good beer!

Cheers!
:mug:

I love my 30L Speidel. It's massive, so you can make slightly bigger batches without any fear of blowoff, and it's easy as anything to clean. It's also simple to carry - those handles are money.

You don't have to use the valve. In fact, I have a Kölsch fermenting right now for which I'm using the valve with tubing as a blowoff (because I've misplaced the stopper). Just use the cap where you might use the valve and it's all buttoned up.

Great product.

I apologize in advance for hijacking.
I felt the same as you regarding glass carboys and safety. Went with Big Mouth Bubbler. Hate it. The bottom isn't flat. I have to wrap the opening with Press and Seal before screwing on the lid just to get a seal. Difficult to pick up especially if wet so I got a cover for it from carboy.net. Dramatically improved handling. It also changed my mind regarding glass. I got covers for my 3 gallon and 5 gallon glass carboys and could not be happier. Easy to handle with all the benefits of easy clean glass plus improved safety since if it breaks it all stays in the heavy cordura carrier. It might be worth a look.

I like 1/4 barrel kegs myself. I built a simple keg washer for them and my corny kegs, no issues getting them sparkling clean.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I apologize in advance for hijacking.
I felt the same as you regarding glass carboys and safety. Went with Big Mouth Bubbler. Hate it. The bottom isn't flat. I have to wrap the opening with Press and Seal before screwing on the lid just to get a seal. Difficult to pick up especially if wet so I got a cover for it from carboy.net. Dramatically improved handling. It also changed my mind regarding glass. I got covers for my 3 gallon and 5 gallon glass carboys and could not be happier. Easy to handle with all the benefits of easy clean glass plus improved safety since if it breaks it all stays in the heavy cordura carrier. It might be worth a look.

Ahhh, this just complicates my decisions! I originally wanted to use all glass, as all my small batch fermenters are glass, but kept reading about the horrors of broken carboys. So I was pretty much set on plastic, and about to order the Speidel, but now I see these covers, and glass is now an option again. I guess the only way to find out is to get both and see which one I like better!

Ahhh, this just complicates my decisions! I originally wanted to use all glass, as all my small batch fermenters are glass, but kept reading about the horrors of broken carboys. So I was pretty much set on plastic, and about to order the Speidel, but now I see these covers, and glass is now an option again. I guess the only way to find out is to get both and see which one I like better!

I did apologize in advance :)

Regardless of any cover or carrier used, you still end up handling "bare" glass at some point, e.g., when cleaning. And you will be exposed to the dangers.

After seeing the horror threads, I went "back" (really should be called "ahead") to plastic buckets and, man, are they easy to clean! They also come complete with a carrying handle.

I still use glass carboys for long term aging, mainly sours, and handling those is minimal, like once a year or less. Yet, each time I need to lift or clean them I'm aware of the lurking danger.

Regardless of any cover or carrier used, you still end up handling "bare" glass at some point, e.g., when cleaning. And you will be exposed to the dangers.

After seeing the horror threads, I went back to plastic buckets and, man, are they easy to clean! They also come complete with a carrying handle.

I still use glass carboys for long term aging, mainly sours, and handling those is minimal, like once a year or less. Yet, each time I need to lift or clean them I'm aware of the lurking danger.

Same reasons I left glass a couple of years ago. Call me chicken but with my kids around, anything could have happened.

Vintage Shop makes some great PET carboys. I use them a lot, and like them more than Better Bottle's design. They're straight walled.

They also started making a wide mouth carboy, as well. It's also thicker and better designed than the big mouth bubbler.

I got rid of every piece of glass I had when my friend severed his femoral artery when an almost brand new glass carboy broke apart in his arms when he was simply carrying it.

I went with Better-Bottles and have been very happy with them. The OP listed as a "Con" for Better-Bottles that you still have to siphon. Mine are the ported type with the high-flow valves. Do they not make them this way anymore?

I got rid of every piece of glass I had when my friend severed his femoral artery when an almost brand new glass carboy broke apart in his arms when he was simply carrying it.

I went with Better-Bottles and have been very happy with them. The OP listed as a "Con" for Better-Bottles that you still have to siphon. Mine are the ported type with the high-flow valves. Do they not make them this way anymore?

If not, you could always intall one yourself... Additionally, you could determine where the trub layer rises to and install your valve accordingly.

The ported Better-Bottles I purchased back in 2006 have the port in the perfect location above the trub layer. The racking adapter on the inside that joins with the high-flow valve can be rotated way up and out of the trub layer.

After seeing the horror threads, I went "back" (really should be called "ahead") to plastic buckets and, man, are they easy to clean! They also come complete with a carrying handle.

That's one advantage of the carboy cover, keep it on when cleaning. Was thinking about using buckets, but then remembered they are not airtight. Not too keen on that.

That's one advantage of the carboy cover, keep it on when cleaning. Was thinking about using buckets, but then remembered they are not airtight. Not too keen on that.

If you're really concerned with air tightness, there are buckets and lids with a rubber gasket, they're airtight. But is that really needed? As long as fermentation is active no air will get in. After 2-3 weeks you can siphon out a sample through the grommet hole. As long as you don't lift the lid, the gas mixture inside remains quite stable, and consists mostly of CO2.

Agreed, for long term aging, buckets are no good.

Well, if you don't like buckets, the speidel would be good. but plastic is plastic, so don't scrub them with something rough. Don't stack plastic fermenters one inside the other, or scratches may form that ruin them as fermenters. i like the short, wide 6.5 gallon buckets with spigots myself. As long as the spigots are cleaned & sanitized after/before every use, all's well with them.:mug:

I know they were not on your list, but I second buckets with spigots..never had an infection from one and they are easy to remove from the buckets to clean as well.. I thought I had an infection once, but it was just a bad off flavor that eventually conditioned out of a stout in the bottles. FWIW I have never had a cheap plastic bucket spigot leak or break yet ether. for around 20.00 your in business... I have 6, I store all mine with star-san in them up past the valve and rotate them so the star san is never more then 3 month old. Your question /concern about keeping the valve sanitized whil fermenting has never been an issue for me.. If I pull a sample I then shut the valve and rotate it up and flush with sta-san, they drain through a weep hole onto the floor in that position. Whats on the bucket side of the valve is just as clean and pure against the wort as the rest of your bucket .

Pros
1) No need for racking cane ( one less chance for infection inducement)
2) Same buckets can be used for fermenting and bottling reducing number of buckets needed.
3) Safest way possible to draw samples.
4) You can see your wart and your Krausen levels right through the bucket.
5) Keeps light effect on your beer to a minimum.
6) Never have to open your fermentor to check progress of your wort. (all mine are air tight)
7) One of the Cheapest fementers available.
8) Can be used for something else around the house once designed life is reached for beer production ..Ie scratches or whatever. Sun tea, pickles, Sauerkraut....used motor oil Etc, Etc.

Cons...people will think of just as many.......... Ford vs Chevy as always..Just one mans opinion.

Went with Big Mouth Bubbler. Hate it. The bottom isn't flat. I have to wrap the opening with Press and Seal before screwing on the lid just to get a seal.

If you still have the screw-on lid for your BMB you ought to contact the company you bought it from. They may replace it with the new press-on model as Midwest did for me at no charge. Even if they don't the replacement lid is less than $10 and solves all of the problems related to the screw-on style lid.

All that being said, the BMB isn't for everyone. However if this were the only thing you don't like about it you'll be happy to know that issue has been fixed.

Cheers!
:mug:

+1 for the SS Brewtech Brew Bucket. Easy to clean, do not have to keep out of the light during fermentation, does not break, do not have to tape threads, valve at the bottom let's you run a hose to the bottom of the bottling bucket. The list goes on. It also just looks cool

Ok, just ordered a Speidel 30l. Will post my impressions after I use it.

I have three and love them. 50+ batches so far and no issues. I use the spigot for kegging every time. I cover the spigot during fermentation with a baggie and rubber band and at kegging time do a visual inspection then spray with starsan and proceed. I also take the spigot apart to clean after every batch. A #8 1/2 rubber stopper and s-lock can replace the freakishly large airlock and stopper that comes with it.

FWIW, I'm not to far from you, just a little north of Butler...

Just a couple of pennies...It sounded like the OP has already purchase but I've been racking my brain on this as well. That being said I also started kegging right from the start. My new goal is to rotate through 1/4 bbl sankes both kegging and fermenting under pressure. No more glass for me. I started with the glass evo2s. While I like the glass I hated the fact that the lids never sealed right from the start. Even now. Masking tape is the only way to seal those for me at the moment. Sankes will solve all that and more!

Speidel question: any problems setting those fermenters in a swamp cooler water bath and submerging the spigots?

I started with the glass evo2s. While I like the glass I hated the fact that the lids never sealed right from the start. Even now. Masking tape is the only way to seal those for me at the moment.

Contact whoever you bought the EVO2's from. There is a replacement lid available that presses into the top instead of screwing on. It fits securely and seals very well.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/big-mouth-bubbler-universal-lid-single-port.html

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/big-mouth-bubbler-universal-dual-port-lid.html

Midwest provided me a replacement lid at no cost. Even if you end up having to pay for the lids they are about $6 each and completely solve the sealing issue.

I had glass carboys then switched to plastic carboys then switched to Spiedels. I should have bought the Spiedels first and saved some money. 2 years with them and would buy them again without hesitation.

Came home to boxes on the porch today! Got my Speidel and can't wait to get some wort in it this weekend. Along with it came the ingredients for my first 5 gal batch. Got the chrome spigot too. Now I should be set as far as equipment goes for a while. I can do 1 gal, 3 gal, and now 5 gal batches. Time to get the pipeline flowing.

Contact whoever you bought the EVO2's from. There is a replacement lid available that presses into the top instead of screwing on. It fits securely and seals very well.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/big-mouth-bubbler-universal-lid-single-port.html

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/big-mouth-bubbler-universal-dual-port-lid.html

Midwest provided me a replacement lid at no cost. Even if you end up having to pay for the lids they are about $6 each and completely solve the sealing issue.

I've had both... Not very happy with either

I have 3 gallon glass carboys, a 6 gallon PET carboy, and a 5 gallon plastic BMB with the screw top. I also have some PET plastic buckets.

The 3 gallon glass carboys are pretty awesome. They are thick and I would be genuinely surprised if they broke without a decent bump on a hard surface or pretty serious thermal shock. I bought two of these when I started homebrewing, one went to a buddy to make cider and the other one is used for small batches. To clean the carboy I just rinse it out and then give it a soak with hot PBW.

The 6 gallon PET is what I currently use as my main fermentation vessel. I currently brew 5.5 gallon batches and target 5.25 gallons for the carboy. I always make sure to have a blow off tube handy :) I even bought some cool volumetric stickers from brewhardware. I really like how lightweight the carboy is and I'm glad I never have to worry about shattering it. Cleans up great with a quick rinse and then a hot PBW soak.

Can't say many nice things about my 5 gallon BMB, it doesn't seal properly although it is easy to clean. I lent this to a friend who was making a beer back in November ... should probably get it back but I pretty much used it to help haul 10 gallons of RO water for my batches. Now I just use some of my buckets to haul water. I've also used the buckets for fermentation and I've had better luck getting them to seal then the BMB.

I like my 6 gallon PET carboy and 3 gallon glass carboy the best. Why? They seal really well. I can leave my beers in my fermentation chamber for 4-5 weeks if life gets crazy and I don't have to worry about oxidation issues. If you use PBW carboys are also easy to clean out. I just leave them in the bathtub while they are soaking.

After that I would go with plastic buckets. They are cheap, seal decently (especially if you can find a lid that has a grommet - although make sure to keep that clean), and are really easy to clean. BMB comes in dead last, which is a bit funny since it was my most expensive fermentation vessel. I don't have a great opinion about most Northern Brewer products although some of them like my Silver Serpent are actually pretty good.

The Speidel fermentation vessels look fantastic and I wouldn't mind trying one out myself. Congrats on your purchase. Did you decide to get the metal sampling valve?

Started with glass carboys. They certainly look awesome! Didn't like them. I moved to plastic wine buckets with the gasket lid, and some BBs when secondary is essential. Much more happier.

Just recently Re-bought some glass carboys for making and aging sours. Had a friend help me move it full of wort to my brew shelf (that is made of metal). I moved it later to inspect it and it made a loud CLANG! HOLY ****. That sent shock waves through my body. There is carpet and neighbors down there! All is well and I quickly placed my gf's expired yoga mat under the carboys and buckets so nothing like that will ever happen again!

I've had both... Not very happy with either

Sorry to hear that. I've made at least a half-dozen batches since getting the replacement lid (single port). It has sealed well and done a good job. I like it about the best of any fermenters I've owned and would buy another if I needed one.

But that's why it's good that we have so many choices, huh? Each to his own. :mug:

+1 for the SS Brewtech Brew Bucket. Easy to clean, do not have to keep out of the light during fermentation, does not break, do not have to tape threads, valve at the bottom let's you run a hose to the bottom of the bottling bucket. The list goes on. It also just looks cool

What he said. I absolutely love my SS Brew Bucket. Plus the optional temp control system works VERY well, for heating or cooling.

Back