Which chiller to choose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krmak

Reaction score
Hi guys! This is my first post on the forums :) I can not decide with wich system I should go...these are the two options:

The first one is the classic wortchiller :
0570168.jpg

the specifications are: Finally a simple and fast way to cool the wort fast to the fermenting temperature after the hop boiling ! Contains as much as 8 metres copper tubing, diam. 10 mm, of special quality. Connect to the tap, immerse in the wort kettle and wait. Cools up to 25 l of wort in about 20 min. Complete with connecting hoses and connectors.

- WITHOUT soldering points
- WITH distance keepers for a maximum surface use !
- fits into most kettles
- diam. 20 cm
- height spiral 20 cm
- total height 50 cm

The second one is this one, I am not really sure how it works so it would be nice if someone could explain a little bit :D
0570258.jpg

specs: Plate heat exchanger welded

Chill your wort as professional breweries do with this ultra compact and very handy plate heat exchanger. With this device, consisting of 12 stainless steel plates, you can cool 20 liters of hot wort to 20°C in barely 10 minutes using plain gravity (no extra pump needed). You don’t disturbe the precipitation of the hot trub and because of the quick cooling you’re avoiding contaminations of your wort. The cooler is easy to use and to clean, the water-use is limited and the connections are standard (¾"). This is definitely a device that can not be missed by the amateur brewer who aims to achieve the highest quality.

Complete with tube-holders NYLON 12mm x 3/4" F (018.263.1234) and user manual.

thanks for everything,
tc

I have a self-made IC that I'm using to chill my hot wort with...

Ask enough home brewers and you'll have plenty of people swear by the chiller they're currently using.

The issue I see with a plate chiller is keeping it clean inside (the wort goes through it). Not an issue with an IC... With the IC, you put it into the boiling wort during the last ~15 minutes (or at least a few minutes left) to sanitize/sterilize it. Then you run cold tap water through it to chill the wort down... I've had cool-down times of ~15 minutes from boiling to under 70F with my 20' IC... If you move the IC around in the pot, you'll get faster cool-down times. Just letting it sit in the wort gives longer times.

I do 5 gallon batch size boils, so cooling down about 5.25-5.5 gallons of boiling hot wort to pitching temp... So far, loving my home-made IC...

I have a self-made IC that I'm using to chill my hot wort with...

Ask enough home brewers and you'll have plenty of people swear by the chiller they're currently using.

The issue I see with a plate chiller is keeping it clean inside (the wort goes through it). Not an issue with an IC... With the IC, you put it into the boiling wort during the last ~15 minutes (or at least a few minutes left) to sanitize/sterilize it. Then you run cold tap water through it to chill the wort down... I've had cool-down times of ~15 minutes from boiling to under 70F with my 20' IC... If you move the IC around in the pot, you'll get faster cool-down times. Just letting it sit in the wort gives longer times.

I do 5 gallon batch size boils, so cooling down about 5.25-5.5 gallons of boiling hot wort to pitching temp... So far, loving my home-made IC...

I always stir the wort until it gets to my pitching temp. It is a bit of a workout but it gets temps down much faster!

yeah I was also going more for the imersion wort chiller... I am doing max. 12 gallons batches :) How many meters of copper would be most suitable for cooling 12 gallons?

for 10 gallons into fermenters (or 12 gallons, close enough) I would plan a 50' IC... You could do it with a 25' IC, if the water is cold enough.

We did a 10 gallon batch (cooling down 10.5-11 gallons of boiling wort) outside last weekend... Cool-down time was FAST by moving the IC around inside the wort...

I have been mixing the wort to move it around the IC so far. This coming brew day I plan to move the IC around instead... Will be interesting to see how fast it cools down ~5.25 gallons of wort to pitching temp.

BTW, I used 3/8" OD utility grade copper for my IC... You can get the 50' coil for ~$50 (or less) at most suppliers (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.)... If you find a good deal, just make sure it's 3/8" OD, not 1/4" OD... I wouldn't use 1/4" if you paid me to... At least not into the wort... Maybe as a pre-chiller...

just making sure my conversions are correct because we use the metric system :).. 50' is equal 15,24 meters and 3/8" OD is around 1 cm OD ?

Looks about right... .375"=.9525cm... If you need it that precise... 1cm should be close enough. Just be sure to get hoses that have an ID to match the tube OD... A bit tight is good, just don't go too tight. :eek:

Latest posts

Back