Which Book to start with ' How to brew' or 'Joy of home brewing'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farairo80

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to Home Brewing..need advice on which book should I begin with out of the two - how to brew' or "joy of home brewing'

Which one u started with & what was your experience. feel free to recommend if you have something better in mind!

Thanks for your help!

How to brew! It starts easy, then increases the level, explains everything in detail, a lot of advices. The Joy of homebrewing is good, but lacks of explanations in depth

They're both good. HTB is efficient and has excellent explanations if the science involved. JOH is much more winding and quirky, with a large focus on enjoying the hobby. If you're a math/science/engineering type I would go with HTB, and if you're an English major type I would go with JOH.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks!

HTB is available online ..I guess it's an old version...Should I get the latest one...heard they r launching it on 30 sept....

Another vote for HTB. Buy the latest. He continuously updates his material and gladly admits when he's wrong. Then buy Charlie's book.

Most of what is in the (old) online version of How to Brew is still valid. So start reading that. Some techniques are outdated, but reading modernizations here on HBT, like not using secondaries, yeast autolysis myth for homebrewers, chilling practices, etc. will get you up to speed and fill in the voids. Read the stickies!

News to me they're finally have a date for issuing a new edition. We've been promised that event 3-4 years already.

Both. The first edition of HTB is free on line, as others have said, and used copies of older editions of Joy are plentiful and dirt cheap on Amazon. Give both a try, see which one suits you, then order the most recent edition of your favorite.

Back