Which BJCP style is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmator

Reaction score
I am going to be entering my first competition but am not sure which BJCP style my recipe represents. It's essentially a cross between a Belgian Strong Dark Ale and a Sweet Stout. At this point, I'm guessing that I could go for Specialty Beer, or even Belgian Specialty Ale. Can anyone help me find the right style so that I can get a fair shake? Thanks!

P.S. I brewed this, aged it for a year, and it was delicious. I won't get to age it for so long prior to entering the contest but I'm hoping to do OK, or at least not be embarrassed by the scores!

Code:
Recipe: Galactic Hyperstout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 31.09 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.82 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 19.16 l
Estimated OG: 1.075 SG
Estimated Color: 42.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
3.40 kg               Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)            Grain         1        47.6 %        
0.91 kg               Caramunich II (Weyermann) (63.0 SRM)     Grain         2        12.7 %        
0.45 kg               Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)           Grain         3        6.3 %         
0.45 kg               Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                   Grain         4        6.3 %         
0.34 kg               Chocolate (Crisp) (630.0 SRM)            Grain         5        4.8 %         
0.45 kg               Candi Syrup, D-180 (180.0 SRM)           Extract       6        6.3 %         
0.45 kg               Candi Syrup, D-90 (90.0 SRM)             Extract       7        6.3 %         
0.68 kg               Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)           Sugar         8        9.5 %         
1.00 oz               East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop           9        12.5 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil  Hop           10       10.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787 Yeast         11       -

You are right in the fact that it doesn't firmly fit into a BJCP category. It's pretty close to a Belgian, but I think you will get deducted because of the Lactose. You won't score well or get accurate feedback in any of the categories besides 23.

I would also specify on your entry sheet: Belgian with Lactose.

Thanks for the feedback, I think that I will probably just go for 23 and see what happens. Is there any downside to entering beers in this category? I am just wondering if they're treated as afterthoughts or not taken as seriously.

The idea behind category 23 is to get constructive feedback that's not based on style requirements. The category is definitely taken seriously. It's one of the most prestigious to win, since it is based more on creativity and experimentation than established styles.

That's really great to hear, considering that most of the things I am really interested in brewing probably belong there in Category 23. Like my "All-American Quadrupel" that uses an all-American bill of ingredients and substitutes maple syrup for candi sugar :)

If it's a Belgian beer and you enter 23, you're entering in the wrong category and will probably take a hit for it. It needs to go in 16E Belgian Specialty Ale. And I would either specify "Dark Strong with Lactose" or "Belgian Imperial Milk Stout" or whatever you think it qualifies as.

Everything in the recipe, except the lactose tells me it's a Belgian specialty beer and in reality the judges won't see your recipe.....a good Belgian will finish dry so if it finishes sweet go with 23

If you have a friend that's a judge or a Club nearby that has a judge have them "judge" it for you:)

You can certainly enter the same beer in both categories unless the rules state otherwise.

Sent from the Commune

I vote for 16E:

Comments: This is a catch-all category for any Belgian-style beer not fitting any other Belgian style category. The category can be used for clones of specific beers (e.g., Orval, La Chouffe); to produce a beer fitting a broader style that doesn’t have its own category; or to create an artisanal or experimental beer of the brewer’s own choosing (e.g., strong Belgian golden ale with spices, something unique). Creativity is the only limit in brewing but the entrants must identify what is special about their entry. This category may be used as an “incubator” for recognized styles for which there is not yet a formal BJCP category. Some styles falling into this classification include:
•Blond Trappist table beer
•Artisanal Blond
•Artisanal Amber
•Artisanal Brown
•Belgian-style Barleywines
•Trappist Quadrupels
•Belgian Spiced Christmas Beers
•Belgian Stout
•Belgian IPA
•Strong and/or Dark Saison
•Fruit-based Flanders Red/Brown

I vote for 16E:

Comments: This is a catch-all category for any Belgian-style beer not fitting any other Belgian style category. The category can be used for clones of specific beers (e.g., Orval, La Chouffe); to produce a beer fitting a broader style that doesn’t have its own category; or to create an artisanal or experimental beer of the brewer’s own choosing (e.g., strong Belgian golden ale with spices, something unique). Creativity is the only limit in brewing but the entrants must identify what is special about their entry. This category may be used as an “incubator” for recognized styles for which there is not yet a formal BJCP category. Some styles falling into this classification include:
•Blond Trappist table beer
•Artisanal Blond
•Artisanal Amber
•Artisanal Brown
•Belgian-style Barleywines
•Trappist Quadrupels
•Belgian Spiced Christmas Beers
•Belgian Stout
•Belgian IPA
•Strong and/or Dark Saison
•Fruit-based Flanders Red/Brown

Exactly.

Note only that, but this tidbit from the bottom of 23:

Note that certain other specialty categories exist in the guidelines. Belgian Specialties or clones of specific Belgian beers should be entered in Category 16E. Christmas-type beers should be entered in Category 21B (unless they are Belgian Christmas-type beers; these should be entered in 16E). Beers with only one type of fruit, spice, herbs, vegetables, or smoke should be entered in Categories 20-22. Specialty meads or ciders should be entered in their respective categories (26C for meads, 28D for ciders).

If the "Belgian" character from the yeast isn't noticeable, then by all means enter in 23. But if it is noticeable, and you enter in 23 claiming it's Belgian, you'll get hit for miscategorizing the beer. If you enter in 23 and DON'T claim it's Belgian, and the judges pick up on that yeast, you may get hit for the strong phenols that particular yeast kicks off as being inappropriate.

Point being, I'd strongly advise against entering in 23, and again recommend 16E

16e nails it. Problem is, it’s a goofy subcategory that’s poorly understood. Unless it’s a big competition, there would be few entries and it will probably be in a flight with other Belgians. I would be tempted to enter it in both 23 and 16e and see what pans out.

I was looking for something that I could brew with a little higher than usual fermentation temp. I don't have a way to control it and it's going to be in the 74F range. I found this "Pete's Summer Brew":
http://thebrewhut.com/brewblog.php?page=recipeDetail&&filter=brewmaster&id=62&pg=2
It says "American Wheat or Rye". The grain bill calls for 4.80 lbs American Pale Malt (2 row), 3 lbs American red wheat and .80 lbs Caramel/crystal malt-10L
The hops are: .5 oz Cascade @ 60, .5 Hallertau @ 30 and .5oz Hallertau @ 5
Adjuncts: 8oz clover honey at 5, 1/2 box Lemon Zinger Tea @ flame out and 1/4 box at bottling.

Here are my changes:

Grain:white wheat instead of red, swapped 1lb rye for 1lb of the wheat.
Hops: In addition to whats called for, I added .5oz Vanguard @ 30 and a 1/2oz Citra @ flame out. (Optional: .5oz Citra dry Hop in secondary.
Adjuncts: 1lb orange blossom honey instead of 8oz clover, eliminated Lemon Zinger Tea. Plan on zest of 2 lemons and 1 orange soaked in 1/2 c. vodka in secondary.
Yeast: Using US-05, instead of Wyeast3068 Weihenstephen WLP300.

Brewed BIAB, OG 1.051 and on day 2, steady bobbling in the blow off...no fouling. I probably have 6 gallons or more in the fermentation bucket...almost full.

So, does this still qualify as an "American Wheat" or American Rye" or does the additional hops, Rye and honey put it into a different category?

Initial wort sample is very promising in aroma, color and flavor!

DSC04815.jpg

It might be trying to be a 6D - American Wheat/Rye, but I would enter it under 23 - specialty, because:

It wouldn't score well in the Roggenbeir category because there is not nearly enough rye.

You may lose points in the 6D category due to the lemon and lemon teas adjucts. Those are not part of the 6D style. 6Ds are also typically defined by the wheat character. With about 33% wheat, you are going to be pretty light on wheat character, especially with the lemon and lemon tea distracting from the wheat. A true wheat has over 50% wheat in the grist, and the wheat proteins in the beer are the defining characteristic of the beer. Honey isn't part of the style, either.

Bottom line is that this recipe was NOT deliberately formulated to style, and isn't going to score well.

If you want honest feedback on it, enter it under category 23.

It might be trying to be a 6D - American Wheat/Rye, but I would enter it under 23 - specialty, because:

It wouldn't score well in the Roggenbeir category because there is not nearly enough rye.

You may lose points in the 6D category due to the lemon and lemon teas adjucts. Those are not part of the 6D style. 6Ds are also typically defined by the wheat character. With about 33% wheat, you are going to be pretty light on wheat character, especially with the lemon and lemon tea distracting from the wheat. A true wheat has over 50% wheat in the grist, and the wheat proteins in the beer are the defining characteristic of the beer. Honey isn't part of the style, either.

Bottom line is that this recipe was NOT deliberately formulated to style, and isn't going to score well.

If you want honest feedback on it, enter it under category 23.

Cool...thanks for the feedback! I am using the lemon and orange zests instead of the tea and I figured it was light on the rye and heavy on the hops. I just wasn't sure if all that put it into another well-defined category or if it made it a cat. 23. Tasting the wort, I'm encouraged that it will be a delicious beer...just don't know if it will be a good technical brew. Thanks again!

Back