Where's The Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenSeaScourge

Reaction score
Just fermented my first batch in a 14-gal Fermenator. After chilling, I let the wort sit for a few hours and dumped the little bit of trub that settled before pitching. It's been in primary for over two weeks (and yes, fermentation is complete enough) so I go to harvest the yeast before dry-hopping and....nothing! Zero. Nothing but beer coming from the bottom dump valve.

I fermented with White Labs California so I should be getting a decent collection of yeasties. I tried knocking the sides with a rubber mallet to no avail. What gives? I know harvesting is supposed to be simple with conicals...provided there is something to harvest. I want my yeast back...

Ha! Have to thank my wife for that...she corralled the entire family into contributing as a combined Xmas gift. Had I known that, I would have hinted at a Brew-Magic system!

Chill it down to help yeast floc.

Also, are you sure it's just beer? It could be a thin slurry, open the value and hold your hand out, if it washes itself off, it's beer, if there's stuff stuck to your hand it's yeast.

^
I'll try that...but from everything I've read, I should be harvesting the "creamy, white layer" from the bottom-dump. I would imagine that at the very least, the liquid would resemble a Hefe, if it's a thin slurry. It's as clear as day coming out...

Back