Where to get Amylase Enzyme in the great white north?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred

Reaction score
So I want to give a shot at the miller lite really triple hopped recipe so I can serve my non homebrewing friends something they will enjoy. My big trouble is finding amylase enzyme. Any of the very few home brewing supply places around here don't have it and don't know where to get it. So I was wondering if any brewers from south west ontario have found it anywhere, and where they did find it?

Thanks for any help:mug:
Ryan

Why do you need amylase? All modified malts have beta and alpha amylase on them so that when we heat them up they act as enzymes on the starch in the grain. Do you have to add extra for a lager or something? If so I would think any of the better HB stores here in the states would have it.

Btw, if you want to brew up something your non-hb friends will enjoy (we all have friends who won't drink 'dark' beer) Try Biermunchers, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/aberdeen-brewery-session-haus-ale-3-5-ag-37334/ recipe... The thought of brewing 'Miller Lite' is not a good thought :) ...

Forrest from AHS last year gave me this recipe in a post and I do have to say most light beer drinkers enjoy it.
Here is a recipe I use for light beer:

5 pounds extra pale liquid extract (or 4 pounds of DME)
1 pound Corn syrup or Corn Sugar

Boil for an hour:
3/4 oz Hallertau for bittering (60 minutes)
1/4 oz Hallertau for flavor (last 15 minutes)

Dry yeast: US-05
Wyeast: 1056
White Labs: California Ale

Important: Crush 3 Beano tablets (yes, Beano) and add when you add the yeast.
Be careful not to touch the tablets from the bottle and crush with very clean and sanitized utensils.

The Beano tablets make the beer finish very clean.

It also helps to use half distilled water and half regular water (the water you usually use for brewing).

The absence of aroma hops, the beano tablets and using some distilled water will make the finish extremely clean and very enjoyable for light beer drinkers.

Forrest
Ben

I have a bottle of Amylase Enzyme in the cupboard and honestly I forgot why I bought it. What is this stuff for?

Thanks for the help guys. The owner of homebrew-supplies here in south west ontario ended up special ordering it for me. I ordered a blichman therminator and a march pump off him a while back and all my dealings with him were very good, I highly recommend them.:rockin:

Thanks for the help guys. The owner of homebrew-supplies here in south west ontario ended up special ordering it for me. I ordered a blichman therminator and a march pump off him a while back and all my dealings with him were very good, I highly recommend them.:rockin:

Do you have a website - email for them....or does anyone have a source for amylase enzyme? Cheers, CyderDunc

Back