Where to find a false bottom for a converted half-barrel keg MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
I recently received a gift of three kegs and one of them will be my new MLT (I'm getting it processed at a welding company). Unfortunately, assuming the standard diameter of a half barrel is 16-17" the 12" false bottoms I've found won't do the trick. Is there a place out there that caters to people who have converted kegs and need all grain equipment for them? Otherwise is there a DIY guide for this? If worse comes to worse, I'm sure I could always rig something up, but that sounds kind of risky. Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Midwest, or NB for sure, I would think Austin and most of the other majors would have them as well. Depends on the type you are looking for.

Edit: Added Image & this set up has been working great so far. High 70's efficeincy.
11999-hopshortage001.jpg

Actually, at about 11 1/4 inches, and given a standard 12" hole, any false bottom will fit and that is the common size for kegs converted to MLT's.

It does not need to cover the entire floor to work.

I just ordered this one from sabco. For whatever reason mine wanted to collapse with anything over 24lbs of grain. This one should be perfect

false_btm.gif

Falsebtm_sm.jpg

Rich...did u put together your own connections that connect the false bottom to the ball valve? I have the same false bottom, but need to make the connection to the valve. Any suggestions? thanks Kelly

keldognuts said:
Rich...did u put together your own connections that connect the false bottom to the ball valve? I have the same false bottom, but need to make the connection to the valve. Any suggestions? thanks Kelly

Just get some flexible copper (or rigid copper and an elbow if you want to solder) and connect it to the nipple/coupler with a compression fitting. Should be really straight forward. Don't forget to hold the FB down tight with a hose clame so grain doesn't get around the sides.

I want to get one of these full sized non hinged bottoms from Swagman over on the GB

Mvc-230s.jpg

Mvc-231s.jpg

Back