Where to drill holes in a chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ai4px

Reaction score
I've been searching google for a cutaway view of a chest freezer, but can't find what I think I need to see. I imagine that the refrigerant lines encircle the tub, but what about the bottom of the tub? Is it ok to drill an access hole in the bottom? I know there's a drain but I'd also like to bring in pressurized water for a glass rinser.

I can't cite the source, but I read somewhere that you can make a vodka/corn starch slurry, spread it across the area to be drilled, and the lines will become evident.

Last edited:
The bottom of mine is all tin covered foam. I poked a hole through with an awl very easily and ran some lines and low voltage through a sleeve i put in. Then sealed it with flexible mastic. Im pretty sure the whole bottom is all foam and i know for sure the compressor hump is all foam.

Vodka slurry.... seems like a waste of good vodka (lol). I think water and corn starch would be more practical. since I could drink the vodka while waiting for the corn starch to freeze.

Compressor hump is a spot I hadn't considered. It has the grill on it, so easier access from the end... thanks.

Back