Where to drill a Kenmore 8.8 for thermocouple?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pez

Reaction score
I have a Kenmore 8.8 chest keezer and I need to drill a hole in the interior to insert a thermocouple. The thermocouple is not long enough to reach up through the collar.

I'm leaning towards drilling the top of the hump since I believe there are no coolant lines there. Has anyone already drilled or seen this model drilled before???

Thanks.

From everything I have read, the short answer is don't drill in the walls or floor. Bad news.

Is it worth risking trashing a new freezer?

Don't mount it low imho. Cold air falls so you want to be measuring a bit higher. Also you want to circulate the air inside. I have mine through the collar - it's just the standard Johnson probe and it works fine this way.

I remember reading in one of the threads that the coolant coils are often magnetic. Try getting yourself a powerful magnet and wave it along the area you want to try and drill and also in an area where you know the coils are. If you can feel the difference, you're good.

Take a sharp utility knife and cut away the plastic lining on the inside of the freezer where you want the thermocouple to come in. If there is a line there it will be instantly visible as the lines are closer to the lining than to the metal outside. I did this with my kegerator and it worked perfectly. I cut away some lining and was able to see where the lines were and I drilled accordingly.

The entire inside of the freezer is metal so I guess that rules out the utility knife and magnet ideas.

Back