Where to buy Hop Rhizomes in North Idaho

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirHopHead80

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone up here in North Idaho (Kootenai County Area) know where I can possible find Hop Rhizomes for sale? I have come across a bunch of articles but were dated back in 2010 mentioning where they buy them but it sounds like things have changed. Great Lakes and Northern Brewer do not ship to my part of Idaho. I believe Thyme Garden does but I have to verify that my county makes the list. I find it odd that there are certain parts of Idaho that you can have hop rhizomes shipped to and some parts not. Anyhow, if any of your brew dudes know then I would greatly appreciate it. Prost!

Just wondering if anyone up here in North Idaho (Kootenai County Area) know where I can possible find Hop Rhizomes for sale? I have come across a bunch of articles but were dated back in 2010 mentioning where they buy them but it sounds like things have changed. Great Lakes and Northern Brewer do not ship to my part of Idaho. I believe Thyme Garden does but I have to verify that my county makes the list. I find it odd that there are certain parts of Idaho that you can have hop rhizomes shipped to and some parts not. Anyhow, if any of your brew dudes know then I would greatly appreciate it. Prost!

If you want to purchase hop rhizomes in Idaho, you’ll need to find a source from Washington, Oregon, or Idaho.

The reason you’re not allowed to order from outside the PNW states is because of quarantine regulations. Certain diseases occur outside the PNW that do not occur inside of it. If they were to be introduced severe economic damage could occur.

Buy on Ebay......... Northern Idaho is not hop growing country...... That's all between I 84 and the Snake River. It's worth noting that Yakima Valley Hops will not ship rhizomes to Idaho. Check the home brew supply stores in Boise, Nampa, Caldwell area, you can find them listed on Google, and they are a phone call away.......

I wonder what it would cost to get someone to smuggle some Nelson Sauvin rhizomes out of Kiwiland..... I'd pay a pretty penny ;-)

H.W.

Buy on Ebay......... Northern Idaho is not hop growing country...... That's all between I 84 and the Snake River. It's worth noting that Yakima Valley Hops will not ship rhizomes to Idaho. Check the home brew supply stores in Boise, Nampa, Caldwell area, you can find them listed on Google, and they are a phone call away.......

I wonder what it would cost to get someone to smuggle some Nelson Sauvin rhizomes out of Kiwiland..... I'd pay a pretty penny ;-)

H.W.

Actually, Bonners Ferry is a large hop producing area.

Well, seeing as how there are quarantine regulations just to get material into the US, I’d say the price is pretty high. In addition to then smuggling it into a quarantined region within the IS. I’d say your chances are pretty slim.

Actually, Bonners Ferry is a large hop producing area.

Well, seeing as how there are quarantine regulations just to get material into the US, I’d say the price is pretty high. In addition to then smuggling it into a quarantined region within the IS. I’d say your chances are pretty slim.

That's a new on on me........... I've never seen hop farms in Bonners Ferry, but I haven't been there in quite a few years.........

H.W.

Being serious for a moment - you couldn't afford the true cost, which would include an insurance premium of $bn's to cover the risk of bringing in diseases with smuggled rhizomes. Qv citrus canker, various corn diseases etc. The risk and insurance cost would go down if you brought in tissue culture cells, but even so... Plus I think Nelson is covered by plant breeders' rights, so you can't just go taking pieces of it to grow elsewhere for the same reason that you don't see Citra rhizomes for sale.

I know you had a smiley but this is one of those boring-but-deadly-serious things that it's unwise to even joke about on this kind of forum, just in case a naive reader comes away with the idea that it is even slightly a good idea to break quarantine regulations. Like vaccinating kids, it's one of those things with a huge cost-benefit ratio even if it feels like an imposition.

That's a new on on me........... I've never seen hop farms in Bonners Ferry, but I haven't been there in quite a few years.........

H.W.

I had a chance to speak with the farm manager a few years ago at an event in Yakima. He was telling me that they were preparing for an 'invasion' of beer writers from all over as a means of promotion for this facility. So not only did he have to oversee the day to day management of all that acreage, but also coordinate accommodations for all these reporters, ha! Here's one of the stories that were published: https://www.notestream.com/streams/57ffe0e962dd7/

If you want to purchase hop rhizomes in Idaho, you’ll need to find a source from Washington, Oregon, or Idaho.

The reason you’re not allowed to order from outside the PNW states is because of quarantine regulations. Certain diseases occur outside the PNW that do not occur inside of it. If they were to be introduced severe economic damage could occur.

That's pretty much my mission at this point. I am aware of the quarantine in my area and have found out this morning that Thyme Garden is able to ship out to my location. I was just hoping to find something here local to me that I can just take a drive out to buy some. Thanks for your response brother!

Thanks for all your feed back by the way fellas. I will continue to research more into finding local vendors here in N. Idaho.

Back