Where Does It Go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenn514

Reaction score
Brewers and Brewerettes...

At coffee this morning, my wife and I were having a conversation about brewing, and the avid interest some have to fabricate elaborate brewing systems and setups. One of her comments was, "Well, brewing beer has GOT to be a cheaper hobby than owning a Ferrari!"

A question came up in our minds, but first some "foreplay:" If I drank four bottles of my homebrew a day, I would drink one batch of brew in two weeks. Thus, I would need to brew 26 batches a year, which is 130 gallons of beer. I will certainly want to share what I brew with friends, but I want to consume the majority of what I brew. I cannot imagine myself brewing even 130 gallons of beer a year.

Now, here's the question: what do you folks DO with all the beer you brew? It would seem that some of the inhabitants of this list brew well in excess of 200 gallons a year. While that may well be illegal, so is speeding! But what do you DO with all that beer? Do you drink it? Share it? Sell it? Dump it down the drain? Export it to third world countries?

We are just curious, and do NOT mean to cast any negatives on brewing...or consuming homebrew!

glenn514...and wife

I probably only drink half of my beer and give away the rest. I am a generous guy though. I drink about 2 beers a night.

I probably only drink half of my beer and give away the rest. I am a generous guy though. I drink about 2 beers a night.

I'd say this describes me. When I have beer I bring it to social gatherings and give it to good friends that I know will appreciate it. But I am on track for 18 batches a year which is 90 gallons a year. And I wish I could do more!

Currently the hubby and I are drinking most of our beer. We did give some away at Christmas, and had a friend in to try out a variety of our beers.

I don't see up ever having the problem of too much beer around. If it does come to that we have a couple of family members and buddies that will help to mop up the excess in the pipeline.

For us brewing is far far cheaper than buying beer, even with all the equipment we keep buying. Then again a dozen BMC runs $22 and change... why pay so much for sub-par beer?

I share some of the beer I make but most of it I drink with the help of my wife. She loves beer as much as I do. And she drinks almost as much of it as I do.

Drink, give to friends and serve at parties. I am having a get together with some friends soon and that will take care of about 15 gallons of brew.

Brewers and Brewerettes...

At coffee this morning, my wife and I were having a conversation about brewing, and the avid interest some have to fabricate elaborate brewing systems and setups. One of her comments was, "Well, brewing beer has GOT to be a cheaper hobby than owning a Ferrari!"

A question came up in our minds, but first some "foreplay:" If I drank four bottles of my homebrew a day, I would drink one batch of brew in two weeks. Thus, I would need to brew 26 batches a year, which is 130 gallons of beer. I will certainly want to share what I brew with friends, but I want to consume the majority of what I brew. I cannot imagine myself brewing even 130 gallons of beer a year.

Now, here's the question: what do you folks DO with all the beer you brew? It would seem that some of the inhabitants of this list brew well in excess of 200 gallons a year. While that may well be illegal, so is speeding! But what do you DO with all that beer? Do you drink it? Share it? Sell it? Dump it down the drain? Export it to third world countries?

We are just curious, and do NOT mean to cast any negatives on brewing...or consuming homebrew!

glenn514...and wife

I enjoy brewing immensly, so much so in fact that I cannot possibly consume all the beer that I brew. So I am shifting my brewing tendencies. I am now going to brew more sessionable brews like Kolsch and simple pale ales to always have stocked in my fridge for me and my friends. The other part of my plan is too brew lots of beer that cellars well. Strong scotch ales, barley wines, Imperials, tripels..etc..etc.. This way you can brew and brew and brew, and just store them away to age...and the age will just make them better.

After a time you will literally be able to give some of the best xmas gifts ever. Could you imagine your delight if one of your buddies gave you an all grain brewed 22 oz bottle of a 1 year old strong scotch ale for xmas? That is pricess as far as I am concerned.

I recently brewed a strong scotch ale up that I going to bottle on the birthday of our second child upcoming in June. It is going to be a very cool brew to celebrate with.

I drink most of mine... but I've given some to friends, spilled some, poured out others, even had some abducted by aliens.

Seriously, I wish I had the time to brew more than I can drink.

Back