Where Do You Set Your thermostat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
Everyone wants to be comfy, some like it warmer than others, so what temp is best for you? Where do you set your thermostat? Most people have a summer temp & a winter temp, some set to be comfy, some set to be economical. I like to keep mine set to about 65*F (give or take a degree or two) year round.
Regards, GF.

I have the thermostat set to 68 during the day and it goes down to 64 at night. Oil furnace with cast iron baseboards, so no cooling in the summer. Last year I never even got around to putting in my window AC.

We heat our small home with wood, so when it drops to 60 or lower, we start a fire, unless we're leaving, or heading to bed. It's 62 at the moment, and since my lady is leaving soon, and i'll be working in the garage, no fire. Probably will light one later, but the house could warm up according to the weatherman. In the summer, since we don't have AC, it goes wherever, and we open windows if the house gets too stuffy. One of the benefits of living in the PNW is that the temperatures are never very extreme, especially on the wet side of Washington State.

Have a boiler. 67 downstairs leads to 71-72 up stairs. Don't even use the upstairs pump or thermostat, the downstairs zone circulates plenty of heat to the up. Although I usually have the bedrooom window cracked open in the winter even if it is in the negatives.

I keep my thermostat between 70-75. Its out of callibration however, and this keeps different parts of my house between 55-72. This allows me to move my fermenters to different corners of different rooms to control ferm temps :)

Anyone know anything about these beasts? After my last bill I looked into things and it is clear that the thing (almost 30 yrs old) had never been properly cleaned. What a job!

Thermostats at 65-67 in occupied rooms (52 at night). In the 50's in unoccupied areas.

Replaced my old one about five years ago. It was original to the house, built in 1965.
It ran fine, just didn't want it to die some cold night.

I think about 71 or so in the daytime, and 65 at night. I'd like to set up a 1-Wire network in the house and have it programmed to open and close certain rooms depending on the time of day.

But for now that's how it goes. Sometimes we bump the temp up if we are feeling extra cold, but it's been pretty steady this winter so far. Only did it twice that I know of.

Heater goes no higher than 64°F. That's $h!t's 'spensive. Put on a jacket if you're cold. Luckily I'm in central TX, so the heater doesn't get used too much.

The rest of the time, the AC is at 77°F during the day. But at night I crank that sumbitch down to 68°F-72°F (depending on the outside temp). I need it to be fairly cool at night, otherwise I can't sleep.

67 during the winter and 77 during the summer. Thats when we are home, the thermostat adds less energy when we aren't home.

If it was up to me AC would only be turned on in my house when it is over 95 outside during the summer. To be nice to the roomates I set the programming to 75 for cooling going up to 85ish when no one is home (Days during the week). Wintertime heat I set same way to 65, down to 55 while out and or asleep times. One of them likes to bump it to 75 during the winter (and doesnt understand why the Hold button is evil), and does the same for cooling (I swear I can see my breath, then leave windows open).

Of course I have a woodstove in the basement which can really crank out the heat, and I use it when it is below freezing and if I have enough wood, which will raise the temperature of the room well over 100 and as a result heats the rest of the house some. I really need to order more as I am almost out.

66F in the winter 72-74 in the summer (because that's as low as my wife will let me).

The basement thermostat is set at 60 because that's where the beer ferments.

Back