Where do you like to get your bulk grains from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I'm about to do my first bulk grain buy. Up to now I've been going back and forth from AG & extract. Now that I have my system dialed in (I think) I'm ready to do mostly AG. I was shopping around for bulk prices and saw some serious price differences. So where do you get your 2-row, pilsner and wheat bulk grains from? Thanks!

You don't want to have this stuff shipped as the shipping cost will kill you. In Union City I would probably drive over to More Beer right over the bridge (the Concord store is too far for you) or go to Brewmaster's in San Leandro off Marina Blvd. They're a wholesaler (they sell to the local brew shops). You can get a list of products from their website (great selection). However, if you want prices they will only give them to you in the store. Trust me, they're cheap. They purposely don't list their prices as they don't want to compete with the stores they supply in the area. They'll also fill up CO2 tanks for cheap!

Thanks Frank! Good to know. I did notice that Morebeer's prices for 2-row & pilsner were way lower than Austin Hombrew, even with tax. I do go to Brewmaster's every now and then. I'll check them out for pricing... :)

Just hit up your local brewery, they will likely be happy to help you out. I get all my base stuff there. Golden promise, Maris Otter, and Cargil Special pale.

I get mine from Mid Country Malt Supply in Chicago area. I pick it up when I am traveling.
You cant beat there prices.

Just hit up your local brewery, they will likely be happy to help you out. I get all my base stuff there. Golden promise, Maris Otter, and Cargil Special pale.

This is the way to go. Befriend a brewery owner/brewer. I get 50# bags of briess 2 row for $26. He also welcomes people stopping buy to scoop up some yeast for free. Plus he usually loves to talk shop. I have only been doing AG for a few months now. He has been a huge help.

Local LHBS. My first sack came from Right Brain Brewing in TC. Russ was nice enough to hook me up.

The shipping on a sack will negate the savings. You might consider looking into a homebrew club and see if they are doing a bulk buy. You can save even more by purchasing by the pallet and sharing with others.

hmm... I'm sure I can hide a pallet of grain somewhere in my garage... :D Thanks guys... I've been meaning to check out Jack's Brewing now that they apparently have a new brewer. I wasn't too crazy about their beers in the past...

Back