Where do you guys get oil for your March Pump.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy777

Reaction score
The March Pump instructions state that they should be lubed with SAE20 non detergent oil. I've been to Home Depot, Lowe's, OSH, Kragen, Autozone and another auto store and can't find SAE 20 non-detergent. Where are you guys finding this?

The March Pump instructions state that they should be lubed with SAE20 non detergent oil. I've been to Home Depot, Lowe's, OSH, Kragen, Autozone and another auto store and can't find SAE 20 non-detergent. Where are you guys finding this?

You can substitute 3-in-1 Household Oil for the SAE 20wt non-detergent. The exact spec on the oil is not critical. Most any general purpose machine oil will work, even sewing machine oil. You really need not be overly concerned about oiling these pumps. They are lubricated at the factory and the way we typically use them for home brewing, they should be able to go for years without the need for additional lubrication. However, go ahead and oil your pump if it will make you feel better or provide some peace of mind.

Mine made an awful sound the first time I used it. It needed oil. I think I used a machine oil from the hardware store.

Mine made an awful sound the first time I used it. It needed oil. I think I used a machine oil from the hardware store.

The sound was likely from the impeller in the pump head and not from the motor. The impeller is lubricated by the liquid being pumped and requires no additional lubrication. The motor, OTOH, has oil ports for the sleeve bearings, but these are lubed at the factory and should not require attention for a very long time as in several years or so.

From the horses mouth, Walter from march pump.

Oiling the pump is not 100% necessary unless its being operated in a bad environment like very dusty or very humid where it can start to rust. The motor Mfg have told us they are lubricated enough to last the lifetime of the pump for continuous duty operation. (according to them that would be between 3-5 years of nonstop running)
If it makes you sleep better at night I just recommend to all that call here to get some sewing machine oil (that 3-in-1 oil is perfect) and put a few drops in once a year for the average person operating it inside their home. Anything else would be your own judgment call. :)

-Walter

Back