Where do you get RO water? (Chicago)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanuswalrus

Reaction score
Every time I go to the store to get brewing water, the only thing I ever see is Distilled water sold by the gallon. It's usually $1 per gallon, which is more than I want to pay. I've checked places like Jewel, Target, Wal Mart, and Meijer (they actually have 2.5 gal of Distilled). I keep reading that RO is just as good, but cheaper. So I'm wondering where people are going to get this stuff, preferably sold in quantities higher than just 1 gal. Anyone in the Chicago area with tips?

Try going to 'primo water' and doing a search. For best price look for a primo refill station - should come to less than 40¢ per G

I work in the Joliet area. I always get mine at Jewell, Walmart or our local grocery store. I have 5 gallon water jugs from culligan I fill 4 at a time.

Many Walmarts have those Primo refill stations, but they tend to be tucked away a bit. I found one on the back side of the rack where they sell the prefilled gallon jugs of "Spring" and "Distilled" water. I guess they don't want you to find them easily or compete with their prebottled water sales.

Every time I go to the store to get brewing water, the only thing I ever see is Distilled water sold by the gallon. It's usually $1 per gallon, which is more than I want to pay. I've checked places like Jewel, Target, Wal Mart, and Meijer (they actually have 2.5 gal of Distilled). I keep reading that RO is just as good, but cheaper. So I'm wondering where people are going to get this stuff, preferably sold in quantities higher than just 1 gal. Anyone in the Chicago area with tips?

Don (@DCPCooks) has an RO filter coming out of the urinal in his garage. Maybe he'd let you fill up a carboy or two from there :D

You are located too close to the lake. The water is not that hard and most people don't have a need for RO. However, if you go west or south of your location, then you will see RO machines in those communities that get their water from wells.

Be thankful.

You are located too close to the lake. The water is not that hard and most people don't have a need for RO. However, if you go west or south of your location, then you will see RO machines in those communities that get their water from wells.

Be thankful.

I know, I'm very thankful for our great water coming from the lake. But I occasionally brew up in Wauconda w/ my stepdad. Their water currently comes from wells, but I did read that they should have Lake Michigan water by 2018.

I usually buy my 5 gallons of RO water at Ace Hardwares in the area. I see them at Lowe's and Home Depot as well.

We bought one of these.

It takes a little planning, because it only has a 2 gallon reservoir. So, I have to put a couple of gallons in my fermenter the night before. The next day, it will give me enough to mash in. And, by the time that is done, I have enough for the boil.

A little bit of a PIA, but it also means better coffee, better drinking water, and it is great for rinsing beer glasses before filling.

Do they come in pre-filled 5 gal jugs or are you refilling buckets?

Pre-filled 5 gallons.

I used to know a place in Geneva that had a machine, to fill up whatever size you wanted and they charged by the gallon. They switched out machines there though and it's no longer an RO machine.

Sorry, if you are loooking to refill on your own, I don't know of any places. Check any health food stores though, that's what the place in Geneva was.

I used to be in the water business, so I always have a few extra 5 gallon bottles laying around to just exhange. Plus, they make it really easy to mix up a long lasting 5 gallons of starsan.

another idea, this is a long shot, see if there is a aquarium store near you. I know people that buy RO water for certain species of fish from pet shops that specialize in aquariums. You might be able to work out a deal, if you pay with full bottles.

Pre-filled 5 gallons.

I used to know a place in Geneva that had a machine, to fill up whatever size you wanted and they charged by the gallon. They switched out machines there though and it's no longer an RO machine.

Sorry, if you are loooking to refill on your own, I don't know of any places. Check any health food stores though, that's what the place in Geneva was.

I used to be in the water business, so I always have a few extra 5 gallon bottles laying around to just exhange. Plus, they make it really easy to mix up a long lasting 5 gallons of starsan.

No actually I was looking for pre filled jugs. Thanks for the tips!

Latest posts

Back