where do i start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KEITH27

Reaction score
im interested in growing hops. but dunno were to start i was thinking about starting in my basement until it gets warmer out but as far as planting them what do i plant??? do i drop a few pellots from my brew kit in some dirt or were do i buy what i need to grow these bad boys thanx for the help.. any info would be great...

Hops are grown from rhizomes, which are a short section of the root of a mature plant. You'll be able to buy them here shortly either at your LHBS or one of the online hop vendors(freshops, hops direct). You don't want to "start" them anywhere except where you plan on growing them permenantly. There is a ton of good information in this very forum on growing, problems, and what not. The good news is that you have plenty of time before you need to put on your gardening gloves. Read, read, read here and other sources. Growing hops is really easy, especially here in MI. They've been around this state much longer than you and I.

You can start you rhizomes in pots. Depending on your growing situation (I'm assuming that you'll be putting them into the ground, but there are those on this forum who seem to have had some success growing in whiskey barrels and what not) you may have your rhizomes several weeks before you are ready to plant out doors.

Use a decent size pot - mine were in a ten inch diameter, 8 inch deep pot for about a month before i put them in the ground. Kept in a sunny location by a window and watered regularly (not over watered). I had bines of about a foot tall by the time I transplanted and they did very well last summer.

The rhizomes can be planted outdoors as soon as you can dig the holes. Freezing temperatures will not harm the rhizomes. I prefer this method as I think there is less stress on the rhizomes.

Back