Where do I go from here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebrewPaleAle

Reaction score
While I'm not exactly a beginner the last batch I brewed had something very strange happen.

I brewed it on 7/6 and I opened my closet this morning to see that the bubbles had stopped on my airlock. So I checked the batch with a hydrometer and it's finished. Having never had a batch stop fermenting this quickly and doing this recipe once before I figured I'd ask here to find out why. And how I should handle this (I'm betting that it's fine but I'd rather ask the experts first)

The last batch took a little over a week to stop fully bubbling in the airlock.
It's a Citra IPA
It tastes like it should
I used two packs of yeast this time instead of one
I added maltodextrin at the same time as the yeast

Just wondering really why it would stop fermenting so quickly and if i should go and move it to secondary this early in the game.

if its done its done. theees no set time for it. that being said, i'd leave it in primary at least a total of 2 weels before racking to secondary. there is still work to be done by the yeast. i personally do a 4 week primary and no secondary.
what was the temperature you fermented at? a higher temp and/or more yeast would make it quicker.

I had a batch stop fermenting in a day and it worried me too, but I waited and it turned out fine. There's so many different parameters to fermentation speed it's hard to say why it would be more vigorous this time. Remember that airlock activity is not the only indicator of fermentation. You need to use a hydrometer to tell when fermentation is done.

I keep my apartment at 70 degrees and it's in a closet so somewhere around there.
I did actually use a hydrometer and it says its done. So I . . . I don't know.
Thanks a lot you guys for helping me out. It was just kind of freaky.

Back