Where did the hops go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbbransc

Reaction score
First, I know hop aroma and flavor dissipate quickly. But in the (2) APA and (1) DIPA I've completed, the hops have vanished within minutes of popping the the top. Lets look at the DIPA first since it was so pronounced.

This was a 9.5oz DIPA. Here is the hop schedule:

1oz Warrior (16%) 60-min
1oz Citra (12.7%) 30-min
1oz Citra (12.7%) 15-min
1oz Citra (12.7%) 10-min
1oz Citra (12.7%) 05-min
1oz Citra (12.7%) dry hop 10 days
0.5 Amarillo (8.6%) dry hop 10 days
1oz Citra (12.7%) dry hop 7 days
1oz Amarillo (8.6%) dry hop 7 days
1oz Citra (12.7%) dry hop 3 days

At FG readings and bottling, this beer tasted & smelled fantastic!! I couldn't wait for it to finish. In fact, after (1) week of bottle conditioning, I decided I wanted to try one to see how it compared to some other recent brews. I popped the top to a slight hiss and smelled the bottle full of fantastic aroma. Just as I remembered. I poured it in a glass and let it sit for a minute or two. When I came back to it and smelled again... gone. Almost NO hop aroma at all.

I gave it a good swig and the taste was decent but not much hop flavor at all. I continued smelling it for the next 10-15 minutes just befuddled at how the hop aroma had disappeared.

Now, I've done two APAs and had very similar experiences with the hops. They didn't have nearly the hop bill this DIPA had so I thought it was just the recipe. But after experiencing the amazing disappearing hops in this DIPA, I think there may be a problem.

Any ideas?

thats strange with that much dry hop and aroma additions. curious to see if anyone else has had this issue

That is a lot of Citra in that beer. Perhaps that is the culprit (old/dry hops?)

Back