Where did I go wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idtapit

Reaction score
So I know there are tons of forms about there about this, but I feel mine is a little different. Long story short. So I made a fat tire clone, moved over to my keg set it at 10psi for two days at 36f. I got the thinking, and said I want it sooner so I set it at 30PSI for three days hitting it with co2 one in the morning once at night (tried it on day two seem like it needed another day of carb). So tonight Bled off the pressure set it a 10psi head a lot of head so bled it off again set at 10psi came out great, but it now taste very very carb. Anyone have any fixes I can do to hopefully save the beer? Next time I will stick to the set and forget. Thanks for the help.

Keep it set to your normal serving pressure and keep bleeding it off a few times a day, the over carb will slowly work its way out.

Ok thank you. I like kegging, but man its been hard for me to get it all the pressures down with how long the tubing is, serving pressure, how long to carb at ugh

Hook the gas line up the the OUT connection at the new pressure and purge the keg a couple times. The "bubbles" traveling up tend to release some of the carbonation from the beer.

I use the shaking method to speed up carbonation. No chance of overcarbing there.

Hook the gas line up the the OUT connection at the new pressure and purge the keg a couple times.

If you do this, make sure you do it with a black (beverage) disconnect connected to the gas line. Do not connect your regular grey/white (gas) disconnect to the liquid out post of the keg. If you do, you will have a helluva time getting it back off again (assuming we're talking about ball lock kegs here).

The QD must match the post. They are not interchangeable.

So just gave it a try after leaving it on serving pressure (10psi) for about two days venting it every few hrs, and still TASTE over carb. UGH!!! Guessing I need to give it a few more days?

What do you mean by it tastes over-carbed? As in that little bit of a burning sensation/bite that you get when drinking a highly carbed beverage? That comes from carbonic acid.

If so, it could take some time. In a highly carbonated liquid, you will end up with a lot of carbonic acid. When co2 is released from the liquid (which is what you're doing by off-gassing it) then the carbonic acid will go through a reverse reaction and turn back into co2 and h2o. But at such low temps, that reaction takes some time. So yeah, it will take some time if that's the taste that you're talking about.

Also, I would highly suggest to not put your co2 line onto the out port. Just not fun at all if something goes wrong. It's better to just keep doing what you're doing: maintaining the serving pressure that you're looking for. Not sure if you're using something like this, but basically this chart will help you figure out how much psi it should be set to:

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Keep it set to your normal serving pressure and keep bleeding it off a few times a day, the over carb will slowly work its way out.

You can speed the process up a bit by turning off the CO2 and then pulling some pints to drink. When it gets to where you want it, turn the CO2 back on to your normal serving pressure.

So just gave it a try after leaving it on serving pressure (10psi) for about two days venting it every few hrs, and still TASTE over carb. UGH!!! Guessing I need to give it a few more days?

If you're trying to decarb it disconnect the gas. Every time you vent it's filling back up, yes at a lesser pressure than the burst carb but still you're working against yourself.

What if I turn off the gas, and keep the pressure valve open for 24 hrs would that help take the carb out of it?

That three days at 30psi is the problem which im sure you know now. I do 36 hours or so and then set at serving pressure to see if its where I want it and it usually is.

A spunding valve like the one posted above is the ideal tool for this purpose. I built two, one for ball lock and one for pin lock.

Barring that, patience behooves you when offgassing the keg to lower the carbonation. The slow way will get you there with the least amount of effort, but will take the longest. This will also allow the carbonic acid to reach equilibrium, reducing any carbonic acid bite that you may be tasting now.

With that said, here are some ways to speed it up:
1. Shake the keg after depressurizing to break more CO2 out of solution. Repeat depressurization.
2. Warm it up, this will increase the equilibrium pressure, and make the gas less soluble in solution, then offgas.
3. Add something in to give nucleation sites to increase the rate of offgassing (off the top of my head, I would try powdered gelatin, this shouldn't affect the flavor of your beer, though in powdered form, I doubt it would clarify much).

Latest posts

Back