where can i get rhizomes in washington

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethwar

Reaction score
I know its a little late in the planting season. But I would like to get some rhizomes. Any help out there. Apparently WA is a quarantined state so I can't get any through the mail. Please help

It's too late this year for legitimate rhizomes.Rockytop in Oly sells them in march. Depending on how mine do this year, I could maybe help you out next year

Yeah, it's unfortunate you can't get them shipped in from out of state. It's really too bad there isn't some noted hop growing region in Washington were you might be able to obtain them. Ah well, more's the pity! :p

Yeah, it's unfortunate you can't get them shipped in from out of state. It's really too bad there isn't some noted hop growing region in Washington were you might be able to obtain them. Ah well, more's the pity! :p

It'd be even better if it was one of the largest hop growing regions in the world. ;)

Road trip in early spring? Sounds like a bike mission:D

Maybe call around some garden centers. My boss has a small farm and he sells hop plants. I bought 7 from him. They were 4 feet tall when I planted them in June. They are 18 feet now and cones everywhere.:ban:

Boy o boy. Guess I phrased my question wrong. I realize that I am two hours away from the best hop valley in the country but obviously they are not selling rhizomes at the time. I realize that spring is the time but I am late. Was wondering if there were any other suggestions but I guess I will be waiting until next year.

I'm in the same boat. Waited too long and now it's too late. Bader's is 15 min away from me so guess I'll be buying them next year. Looking at the hop growing thread on here really perked my interest in growing them!

If you guys want something to do until next year, and if you haven't already, consider getting the hop site ready, digging deep beds, and designing the trellis system. This always takes longer than anticipated. Also, you can start building healthy soil by adding a lot of compost, composted manure, and/or even a cover crop to build nitrogen reserves into the soil (e.g., white clover, any legumes, etc.). Also, it's relevant to pay attention to the seasonal changes of the path of the sun and related sun exposure in the site you're considering to plant. Where I am in socal, the different microclimates in my yard make a big difference; my Chinook plants love full sun, south exposure, whereas my Cascades seem to prefer morning sun with late afternoon shade when things get scorching (still trying to get my firt-year Tettnangers dialed in).

My experience holds that the more effort put into the site itself, the more likely you'll harvest some hops in the first year. Good luck!

Thanks cram. Will definitely do! Have perfect flower bed behind my house that gets full southern sun exposure and side yard which gets mid sun. Am planning to build some sort of trellis system to my two story house. They should be able to grow nice and tall. We actually have a compost plant in my area that produces this stuff called TAGRO. It is amazing stuff. I will get the soil ready with this

Back