Where can I get "Laser etching" Done (I just made that up)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of places do that sort of thing (glass engraving) for wedding champagne glasses, trophies, etc. You might try googling glass engraving in your area.

If you can't find someone local to do the laser engraving (check with trophy or sign shops), you could get someone with a vinyl cutter or laser engraver to make a mask and chemically etch the bottles.

The mask would protect the glass that you don't want etched. Once it is applied to the bottles, you put on a chemical etching compound to mark the glass.

If you can't find someone in your area with a laser engraver (after trying the trophy and sign shops), try In A Flash Laser in Virginia.

Where do you live? I am in eastern mass. With a friend who does a great job at it. He uses sandblasting to do it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

If you can't find someone local to do the laser engraving (check with trophy or sign shops), you could get someone with a vinyl cutter or laser engraver to make a mask and chemically etch the bottles.

The mask would protect the glass that you don't want etched. Once it is applied to the bottles, you put on a chemical etching compound to mark the glass.

If you can't find someone in your area with a laser engraver (after trying the trophy and sign shops), try In A Flash Laser in Virginia.

This is what I did, when I wanted a few glasses for a party. You can buy the acid etching stuff at hobby lobby, have the vinyl cut at a sign shop

Hi,
I do growler etching.
http://glassartsetching.com/
A 3 liter swing top growler etched/sandblasted and painted

BB3.jpg

I have run a Laser Engraver that would do glass. No, I do not have one of my own, though.
I ran a stencil cutter too, a bit. (Gerber, dunno what model)

Dead easy to set up if the Engraving machine has a rotary axis. Mind-numbingly boring to sit there and load the machine again and again.

But it really amounts to load the machine, hit the green button, easy as printing a page out from the printer.

The design shown is pretty straightforward and should turn out OK.

If you want to go hands-off, the Laser Shop is an OK option, if you are more DIY type, some stencils and a glass etch kit or a bench top sand blaster cabinet and a compressor would serve better.

TeeJo

It takes a long time and a good amount of work, along with a steady hand, but you can also do the etching using a dremel and "drawing" it on (I print out a picture and tape it to the inside if its clear or tape a stencil around the outside if its not). I enjoy the control and DIY spirit of it, but it can easily take 1-2 hours per glass depending on size and details.

Back