Where can I find a 4oz bottle of real vanilla?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, making cheesefood's Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale, I can't seem to find a 4oz bottle of vanilla. I can find 2oz bottles at Wal-Mart and they are nearly $8 each! Are there other stores that would possibly have big bottles of the stuff? And is there a particular brand that you find good? Other tips for vanilla?

I actually saw some at my local grocery store (Krogers) in the specialty foods section.

FWIW, lots of people report that four ounces of vanilla in that recipe is a LOT. Hell, lots of people report that half that amount is pretty close to overpowering.

Most grocery stores carry pure vanilla extract in the spices section. It's not cheap. $8 for 2 oz sounds about right.

Costco has the best price that I've seen, but you are obviously going to be buying more than 4 oz.

Jason

I know that this does not help you right now, but they sell Vanilla kits, you take 3 long vanilla beans cut them open, and pour in a good high quality vodka, wait for 3 months. BAM, instant vanilla extract, so you will always have it on hand. When the bottle is half empty, fill again with Vodka, and you are off and running again.

If you want they sell them here locally for about $8.00 if you want I can pick you up one.
Josh

+1 on Trader Joe's or Costco. Penzeys.com is another good source of vanilla, or any spice for that matter.

Sherpa FE said:
I know that this does not help you right now, but they sell Vanilla kits, you take 3 long vanilla beans cut them open, and pour in a good high quality vodka, wait for 3 months. BAM, instant vanilla extract, so you will always have it on hand. When the bottle is half empty, fill again with Vodka, and you are off and running again.

If you want they sell them here locally for about $8.00 if you want I can pick you up one.
Josh

Yup, I have a few bottles of that going. Vodka based, bourbon based, dark rum based. 3 months is the ticket. The taste difference between three months and six years is nothing. Just keep the bottle capped, and keep it out of the sunlight.

Gotta agree with previous post that 4oz is a lot, I love vanilla and I wouldn't put more than two ounces in any 5 gal batch. You can always add more vanilla to the secondary if the flavor isn't what you would like, but you can't take any away. I suggest finding a good quality vanilla extract (no its not cheap), unless you have a reputable source for beans. Don't buy vanilla beans from the supermarket thinking they are superior to extract, more then likely they've been sitting in the bottle for months.

King Supers has an organic Vanilla extract that is pretty good. It's like 8 or9 bucks for the 2 oz but that'll make it easy for you to keep from adding too much.

DO NOT Buy Beans in the store anyway. We got some online 13 beans for $16.00 including shipping. Just saw 2 beans that looked hard as a rock in the jar for $13.00

batesjer said:
Gotta agree with previous post that 4oz is a lot, I love vanilla and I wouldn't put more than two ounces in any 5 gal batch. You can always add more vanilla to the secondary if the flavor isn't what you would like, but you can't take any away. I suggest finding a good quality vanilla extract (no its not cheap), unless you have a reputable source for beans. Don't buy vanilla beans from the supermarket thinking they are superior to extract, more then likely they've been sitting in the bottle for months.

I put 2 oz in at flameout, and I racked last Thursday and tasted a sample. I couldn't even taste the vanilla (real McCormick vanilla extract). I think at bottling time I am going to start with another 2oz and give it a taste, and add the other 2oz if I feel like it needs it. I started another thread somewhere about supertasters who taste the bitter compounds much more than normal, and I am one. It's probably this that is masking the vanilla flavor for my tastebuds.

Also, would GNC have vanilla extract and not just the beans?

EDIT: Found some...

Back