When you pour your hop filled wort through a strainer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
you have all those soaked hops sitting in the strainer do you press the wort out of them into the bucket before dumping the hops?

I've been doing this for my first two brews thinking "I'm not gonna waste a tiny drop of that soon to be delicious brew".

I've read through a few kit instructions and Palmer as well and couldn't find any reference to this situation.

I dump the whole thing into my primary. I tried straining, but the strainers clog... got messy. Plus, why waste a good, delicious hop?

After 2 - 3 weeks my brews are always good and clear, then racking to a keg and cold condition for 2 weeks makes them shine up beautifully.

I don't press out any extra wort from my strainer, I just let it sit for a couple of minutes until it is done dripping. You should assume that your are going to lose a little bit or wort and beer when you are straining, racking, and taking a gravity reading. Just think of it as a sacrifice to the beer gods to ensure your beer will be blessed.;)

My former brewing partner would squeeze the hops and grain bags. Took longer to clear & added to the amount of trub at the bottom of the fermenter. This probably reduced the final amount of beer.

My former brewing partner would squeeze the hops and grain bags. Took longer to clear & added to the amount of trub at the bottom of the fermenter. This probably reduced the final amount of beer.

I did the same, but read recently not to squeeze the grain bags because it might give a bitter flavor. (not sure how true it is)

Back