When would you dump a batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Seems like the constant advice for any newbie who thinks they might have goofed something up is to wait, then wait some more. Then after you've waited, wait a little longer. I'm just wondering, what would it actually take to consider a batch actually being bad, and need to be dumped? How many yeras must a batch sit in the back of your closet, and still taste like pure trash before it would hit the drain?

I don't do mead, but if any batch of anything doesn't improve over weeks/months...it's not likely to get better.

Usually though...bad batches don't stay bad...they get worse with time.

I guess it takes a little experience to know when a batch is truly beyond hope. Aging does alot- smooths out rough flavors, "hot" taste, etc. But if it's infected and truly bad (like vinegar, or fecal smelling) no amount of time in the world will save it. The trick is knowing when it is young, and when it is beyond hope!

Latest posts

Back