When was this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed 10-gal. batch 10/8. Racked to kegs Sunday, 12/18 from primary (6.5 big mouth carboys, that don't seem to seal very well). I sampled the beer while xfr'g and although I was not amazed at how good it was, I could not detect the flavors that were to show up in the beer when I tapped and tasted last night after force carb. Yucky, best describes one keg. The second is not the same but not right and not very good.
I had cleaned my xfr equip. and kegs 2 other times to rack but got redirected before xfr. I also cleaned my beer lines prior to tapping.
I don't think I like those big mouth bubbler carboys. I noticed equal pressure on one carboy prior to xfr. The other had one of those silicon air locks that don't provide a visual for differential pressures. My ferm chamber needs tweeking, as temps fluctuate too high or too low while adjusting temps. But if the infection occurred during primary, why didn't I taste it when I racked to my kegs?
I Starsan my gas fittings and purge my kegs prior to xfr. Can my CO2 or gas lines be the source of this infection? Does the drop to serving temps bring out these flavors? Help me figure this out please. I can't stand the thought of dumping 10-gallons of beer. Thanks in advance, GF

Describe the off flavors you're getting. I've gotten some really bad off flavors (metallic, sour and buttery) due to large temp fluctuations during fermentation.

Over two months in a not very well sealed carboy could be to blame. Otherwise scratches in any plastic that the beer touched during transfer could be to blame as they can harbor bacteria even after sanitization. There is a possibility that something got into your gas line. Have you used this CO2 tank before? A contaminated tank or gas could also conceivably be to blame. Not sure about you but I just do tank exchanges, tanks just get refilled, not disassembled, inspected and sanitized. You have no idea what the person before you did with the tank.....

VagueSkunk, hey, that kind of describes the flavor! JK'g. The red has a very sour/vinegary flavor. I'm thinking of letting it age and calling it, "flanders red instead". The off flavor in the porter is much less pronounced and I am having trouble describing it. Buttery might be the taste, I'm traveling and there will be some brewers here after Xmas so I'll try to be more descriptive then. In your experience, did the flavor "condition" out over time? How long?
GPP, This the second or third batch for my BMBubblers, I don't use anything abrasive to clean them. But I don't like those bumps and ridges that are the inside face of the vessel and the fact that they don't seal on there own. (I have to use plastic wrap under the lid) I am thinking that is where I picked up the bug. But why couldn't I notice it when I tasted while racking to my kegs? I think I'm going back to glass.
Merry Xmas to all. And a Hoppy New Year!

From what I have heard the off flavor sometimes takes a while to show. I've seen some pretty nasty pictures on this forum which apparently tasted just fine. Given time I assume at least some of them started to taste like they looked.

I drank a really good Flanders Red (Innovation Brewery-Sylva, NC). I can only hope that I end up with something even remote to that beer. But all the same, I'm going to let it age a good while and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back