When transferring the wort to the primary, should I leave out the sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
When transferring the wort to the primary, should I leave out the sediment (from the hops, falvoring, etc)? or include it?

And should I seal the lid on the primary, or is it OK to leave it on loose at first?

+1 to killian, Leave out the the hops and break material, or as much as possible but the beer will still be fine if you end up with a bunch in there. You can seal the lid on the primary or just make sure it is covered well. The bacteria, wild yeast and dust that can lead to spoiled beer aren't going to crawl up underneath an unsealed lid.

At times when I have used a pail I have placed a plastic sheet over the top which is held on with a big elastic. Not sealed - and it works great.

B

Yeah, the whole point of brewing is to extract the flavors, sugars etc from your ingredients ready for fermentation, leaving out the source - not throw them in with it.

Back