When to take OG reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckbeagle

Reaction score
When doing an 5 gal extract batch with the 1 1/2 to 2 gallon boil. Do you check the OG then (at end of the boil, with wort cooled) or after you have topped off with water in the fermenter?

Take the OG reading after you have added the top-off water and mixed it well with the wort. I take my reading right before I pitch my yeast so everything is pretty much done at that point.

If you take the reading without the top-off water it will be ridiculously high.

And be sure to mix very well or your reading will not be accurate.

Or, don't even bother.

It's darn near impossible to miss your OG on an extract brew, unless you forget some extract or your volumes are off.

If you didn't leave out any extract, and you're confident in your fermenter volume, your OG is what the recipe said it should be.

You'll have one more hydrometer-sample's worth of beer to taste AFTER the fermentation :mug:

Sort of a thread revival here but wondering if anyone had thoughts on how accurate your hydro reading will be if you take a gravity reading straight from the kettle right after I removed my chiller with no mixing yet?

Sort of a thread revival here but wondering if anyone had thoughts on how accurate your hydro reading will be if you take a gravity reading straight from the kettle right after I removed my chiller with no mixing yet?

It depends. If you are adding water afterwards, then of course the OG of the boiled wort would be very high and completely inaccurate. You also have to know the exact volume- not 3 gallons left, but 2.65 for example.

If you're doing a full boil with all of the wort, and you know the exact volume left in the kettle, it'll be highly accurate.

Well that for sure answers my question, it was a full boiland actually was a litltle low on volume I think, bummer, thanks as always yooper. To be honest my og was dead on as planned for my efficiency I planned for but I was about a full gallon shy post boil, guess I didn't get the efficiency at all I had planned for. Oh well try again next time.

I forgot to take the OG reading until after I aerated the wort and pitched the yeast. Will the reading still be accurate? I presume with more air in it, the density will be lighter than expected. Thanks

tnbrewer371 said:

Best thing to do is experiment. Take a reading after removing chiller. Then take another one after adding top-off water. See how much your OG readings differ.

The og is most accurate at 59°f but thats not really your question so to answer, right before you pitch your yeast

The og is most accurate at 59°f but thats not really your question so to answer, right before you pitch your yeast

Don't be too sure about 59F. It's best at what temp you're hydrometer is calibrated at. Be sure to check it right before pitching for the most accurate measurement needed for OG. If you forget to get the OG before pitching then expect the reading to be off a point or 2. If you really need to know just to get an assumed ABV%, one or points off your OG isn't going to hurt.

FlyingHorse said:
Or, don't even bother.

It's darn near impossible to miss your OG on an extract brew, unless you forget some extract or your volumes are off.

If you didn't leave out any extract, and you're confident in your fermenter volume, your OG is what the recipe said it should be.

You'll have one more hydrometer-sample's worth of beer to taste AFTER the fermentation :mug:

I disagree. Going through steps like this is a great learning experience for new brewers; and it serves to keep us a little more in tune and involved with the process. In the beginning, it helps prevent silly mistakes, like forgetting to add the top up water. (gee, why is this reading so high). It also instills confidence in the new brewer when they hit the numbers. I don't take readings as much now as in the early days, but at the time it was a great help to my sanity to "see" the progress.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back