When to take hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellardoor

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch today (It was as much fun as expected, even though i spilled some of the wort on the floor) and was wondering when to take the hydrometer reading. I took it before I added the yeast and after. My instructions had the hydrometer reading step before the yeast addition so I assumed that was the correct order. My before yeast reading was 1.023 and my after yeast was 1.048. As a newbie brewer which one should I use as my inital specific gravity. Thanks for the help.

Ideally you want to take the reading before pitching. But if you take it after it's not a big deal.

The most likely reason for the disparity in your readings is that you hadn't mixed the wort thoroughly enough for the first reading. Stirring in the yeast (which I assume you did) gave you what was most likely the proper reading.

Congrats on the first batch! :mug:

I am new to brewing and still using kits, should I take a gravity ready before I add my yeast or after ? Or does it not really matter too much ?

I would assume that either would work, but I have always taken the OG reading before pitching yeast. I makes more sense to me to just pull a sample while Im transferring it to the sanitized fermenter, instead of transferring, pitching, and then pulling a sample.

I only use 1 fermenting vessel but I think I will try an OG before and after pitching the yeast on this new brew.
thanks

I only use 1 fermenting vessel but I think I will try an OG before and after pitching the yeast on this new brew.
thanks
That's what he's saying - take the sample while you're transferring, instead of transferring then taking the sample. It won't make any difference if you check gravity before or after pitching - anything there is not enough to affect the gravity taken. Once the yeast begin work (8 - 72 hours later depending on a lot of factors) at that point is when the gravity starts changing, and will continue to do so until the yeast have finished their work.
So, once your wort is cooled down, and you're transferring into the fermenter, is the perfect time to reroute an amount into your sample cylinder. After you've transferred and pitched yeast into the fermenter, seal it up and walk away. look once or twice to see that you have something going on, but RESIST THE URGE TO OPEN IT UP. There is nothing to be gained by doing that. (unless there's some major issue.)
Leave it alone for minimum 10 days to 2 weeks. At that time, as long as there appears to be no activity, you can take another sample. Seal up again and come back a few days later for another sample. Presuming they are identical, you're ready to bottle.

So, once your wort is cooled down, and you're transferring into the fermenter, is the perfect time to reroute an amount into your sample cylinder.
It probably goes without saying, but if, like me, the OP is doing partial brews, and then topping up to five gallons in the fermenter, he'll need to wait until aftter he's transferred all of the wort and topped up to take the gravity reading.

It probably goes without saying, but if, like me, the OP is doing partial brews, and then topping up to five gallons in the fermenter, he'll need to wait until aftter he's transferred all of the wort and topped up to take the gravity reading.

Good point. You need to have your full volume there and properly mixed. That said, you can calculate the gravity even from a concentrated amount (partial boil) by taking the measurement then dividing it by the amounts - I can picture the calcs, but can't express them right - Brewers Friend has calculators for everything, I bet there's one for this on there.

That said, you can calculate the gravity even from a concentrated amount (partial boil) by taking the measurement then dividing it by the amounts - I can picture the calcs, but can't express them right

(WortGravity - 1) x WortVolume
---------------------------------------- + 1
WortVolume + TopUpWaterVolume

Back