When to take 1st hydrometer reading since brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch this past Wednesday. I just got home on Sunday night and noted that my airlock is no longer bubbling, so I was wondering when I should take a hydrometer reading? Should I wait until it's been fermenting for a solid week before I even worry about it? I'm being patient...haven't even opened my fermentation chamber door (it's an old wine fridge so it's glass!), but I am curious what's going on under the lid of the bucket. Any advice?

Should I wait until it's been fermenting for a solid week before I even worry about it?
That's my usual MO. After a week I take a reading, swap out an airlock for the blow-off hose and forget about it for another week or 3 depending on the beer.

-Joe

I don't bother until I'm ready to take some action based on the reading, for me the first check is after about 2 weeks when I'm ready to rack into secondary. At the very least I would wait until the krausen has completely fallen.

On all of my brews (except my first, I couldn't wait) I've waited until all "bubbling" activity has ceased from my airlock and the krausen has fallen. Granted, bubbling in the airlock and krausen are not accurate signs of fermentation, but I use them as signs when appropriate. I typically wait until a few days before I'm ready to bottle/rack to secondary. The rule of thumb seems to be to wait until you have 2 consistent readings over a 3 day period, so I typically start doing reading 3-4 days before I'm hoping to bottle/rack. (So, depending on the brew, after a week if racking to secondary, 2-3 before bottling).

That's my usual MO. After a week I take a reading, swap out an airlock for the blow-off hose and forget about it for another week or 3 depending on the beer.

-Joe

Same here if I use a blow-off hose, which I have started to religously, I will check the SG when I swap the hose for the airlock. Then, normally I will let it sit for at least another 2-3 weeks before checking to see if it is finished.

I will actually be swapping blow-off hoses for airlocks tomorrow evening.:rockin:

Three to four weeks--that's just how I roll. I then take another a few days later to make sure that nothing is still going on in there fermentation-wise, then I either keg/bottle, or send it to a secondary depending on the style of beer and if it needs long-term bulk aging.

If you only have one going, just set the sample and hydrometer next to the fermenter. When it stops dropping, check the fermenter.

Back