When to switch to secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

immerzen

Reaction score
What's the minimum waiting time on fermentation? Should I switch as soon as the krausen lowers and the bubbles stop flowing, or should I wait a full week to two weeks before moving to the secondary fermentation? I'm promise I'm patient. :)

I'm going to answer your question with a question. Why do you want to do a secondary?

I'm going to refrain from saying that you don't need to do a secondary because there are some good reasons to do one, but if you don't have a reason then there's no need.

Once you know why you want to do a secondary and what you want to achieve with it, then you will know when you should transfer.

I agree some what. It depends on the beer type if I use a secondary. But to answer your question I will wait at least 10 days before I transfer to a secondary. But the down side is the more you touch your beer the more chance it has to get infected.

I'm going to answer your question with a question. Why do you want to do a secondary?

I'm going to refrain from saying that you don't need to do a secondary because there are some good reasons to do one, but if you don't have a reason then there's no need.

Once you know why you want to do a secondary and what you want to achieve with it, then you will know when you should transfer.

I guess it shows my inexperience. My guide stated that I should move it to secondary after 1-2 weeks but it wasn't too specific on when exactly to move it. It's a Caribou Brown Slobber Ale (american brown) extract kit from northern brewer, if that helps.

If it was me I wouldn't do a secondary at all for that. But that's just my opinion.

It sounds like you're pretty new to brewing so maybe it'd be better to just follow the instructions you were given. If you are going to transfer it I would suggest doing so just before fermentation is finished - when the krausen starts to fall and the bubbling slows down. So I guess your suggestion in the OP was pretty good. :)

To elaborate, that would be my preferred time to transfer so that any oxygen introduced will be taken up by the still active yeast (oxygen is generally very bad for beer after fermentation has finished).

Happy brewing.

Only time that I rack to secondary is if I want to harvest the yeast before dry hopping. Other than that it's just primary for however long it needs. Never had any issues.

Every kit instruction I've seen suggests a secondary after 1 - 2 weeks.
Leave that one in the primary. If you're going to order ingredients for another brew, order another 6+ gallon fermentor too.
I secondary for bulk aging, past ~1 month or so, or when adding fruit etc.
I've secondaried beers I added fruit to and big stouts to age.
I'd give Carabou Slobber 1 month or so in the primary then package it.

Secondary fermentation for beer was created back in a time when people were trying to invent beer snobbery by copying wine fermentation techniques. They also started raising their pinkie finger and using tulip shaped glasses so they could experience the "nose".

It's beer, dammit.

I have a chocolate milk stout in primary right now that I will be racking to secondary only because I am adding the chocolate nibs at that time. So as others have mentioned, racking to secondary is usually only warranted for certain reasons. My next brew, a watermelon wheat, will not see the secondary carboys since I am just adding watermelon flavor to the keg.

Back