When to start brewing your Christmas beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaplesVin

Reaction score
I just emptied out my fermentators and getting ready for Christmas! I was looking at some stouts and Christmas theme beers around 1.060-1.080. Looking to start at the beginning of November and finish hopefully around Christmas Eve.. When do you guys start brewing for Christmas time?

I just emptied out my fermentators and getting ready for Christmas! I was looking at some stouts and Christmas theme beers around 1.060-1.080. Looking to start at the beginning of November and finish hopefully around Christmas Eve.. When do you guys start brewing for Christmas time?

I did yesterday. :D Brewed a spiced Dubbel (cinnamon sticks and all spice) with an OG of 1.076. Should come in at 7.5% and I hope it's nice and mellow come mid-December.

I would allow about 6 weeks. The end of October/Beginning of November should be about right. However, there's no problem doing it earlier and then just storing the bottles, especially so you can have a couple before Christmas.

-Jeff

Brewed a Spruced Winter Warmer at the end of August, bottled in mid September. First time using spruce tips, and if it was way overdone I wanted to give it a few months to mellow. Fortunately it was not overdone, so I can sneak a few after Thanksgiving :)

I'm going to be putting together a Dunkel Bock, the traditional German Christmas time bier. I'll probably start it during the first week of November as the very first beer brewed in my new house. It has a very large lagering chamber with perfect temps!

Just away to do a mulled spiced hard cider. Might do a wee gallon of a Christmas Wheat Beer.

Stouts at those starting gravities will be drinkable by Christmas if you start at the very beginning of November but would probably be better if you had some more age on them. I would have probably brewed them at the end of August or beginning of September. I created a recipe for a big bourbon stout that we'll probably put in larger bottles and wax dip next year as gifts and I'll probably brew that beer in May.

Did a big Oatmeal Stout 3 weeks ago. Will be drinking by Thanksgiving.

Will be starting a Smoked Robust Porter in 2 weeks, with the plan to be drinking it by Christmas.

I'm brewing my gingerbread brown ale this Saturday, October 18th, which doubles as both my Christmas beer and winter seasonal beer. Nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger.

Should be ready to bottle near the beginning of November, giving it a good 6+ weeks to condition in the bottle, though I'm sure I'll be cracking a few open at the beginning of December, maybe even by Thanksgiving.

Metanoia, I would love to check out this recipe you have as this would make a great Christmas beer in my house. I might even leave a glass for Santa Claus! :mug:

Metanoia, I would love to check out this recipe you have as this would make a great Christmas beer in my house. I might even leave a glass for Santa Claus! :mug:

Last time I brewed it was with extract, so I'm working on a new all-grain recipe this year. So far I'm pretty set on using this brown ale recipe from HBT, but using my house London yeast instead of Nottingham and adding some molasses to the kettle before boiling. As for the gingerbread flavor, last time I used nutmeg and allspice at flameout and added a tincture of vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, and chopped fresh ginger at bottling. However, I'm thinking about just using ground spices and vanilla extract this time to save money and effort, plus the flavors should come through better than last time.

Edit: Oh, and I totally did leave a glass out for Santa last time I brewed this two years ago. It's been a tradition for a while now at our house that Santa gets to enjoy a pint along his cookies. ;)

I brewed my 10% RIS in February, just a couple of months left to age. I've tasted a few bottles and it's decent, but it feels kind of thin. For some reason the temp in my mashtun kept dropping a bit during the mash so that's probably what it was. I maxed out the 10 gallon pretty much so that could be why. First time making a RIS though, so I'm pleased with it.

I'm pretty sure that Santa Claus wants porter :mug:

I had great luck with the "Raging Irish Red" recipe here, and wanted something unassuming to add some spices to. For a 2.5 gal batch I added 1tsp Cinnamon, 0.75tsp cloves, 0.5 tsp ginger, and 0.25 tsp nutmeg. The wife doesn't like much nutmeg. Brewed this weekend. I figure on 2 weeks primary, then I'll still have time to tinker if necessary and keep it drinkable by Christmas.

Watch out on that ginger. After adding 1/4 tsp of ginger in my pumpkin last year (blahh!), I dropped it all together for future brews. Some may like it, me no likey!

Back