When to plant rooted sidearm cuttings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazedandconfused

Reaction score
Today I stumbled across some rooting hormones in my garage and plan on using it on some of the trimmings from the lower part of my plants. I was wondering if anybody knew how long theyd have to be in pots before they could be planted outside and hopefully come back next year? Or would it just be a better idea to plant directly in the ground and hope that they establish themselves enough to come back next season?

I asked my menopausal wife what she would do if she found hormones rooting in the garage. She said she would probably eat them. Hope that helps.......

Today I stumbled across some rooting hormones in my garage and plan on using it on some of the trimmings from the lower part of my plants. I was wondering if anybody knew how long theyd have to be in pots before they could be planted outside and hopefully come back next year? Or would it just be a better idea to plant directly in the ground and hope that they establish themselves enough to come back next season?

Once the cuttings start to show growth they can be planted. Keep them out of direct sun until then.
You can do this with out hormone. In fact; you'll likely have a higher success rate if you don't use it, it will just take longer.

I've pulled up some unwanted shoots which had root growth. This saves lots of time if it happens. Also; if you put a section of a bine underground it will root, then you just need to cut it. This will have a very high success rate as it's connected to the root system. Rooting hormone will speed this up too.

Best idea I thought of wile writing this: take an unwanted bine 3ft long. strip the leaves in the middle. Cover this section with hormone, then put this part in a 1gal pot of soil (hormone part under soil). In 3 weeks cut the bine from the main root system, or better yet, just cut it half way, then the rest of the way after week 5.

Latest posts

Back