When to plant hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
I sure hope I am posting in the right category. I am going to plant some hops this year. When is a good time to buy the ryzomes(is that how you spell it?) and get them in the ground. I'm going to string up some string on the south side of my house at a 45 degree angle from one end to the other, mainly so I can get the 12 feet of string I need. How many dried oz/lbs of hops does one plant yield? And how do you dry out the hops once you pluck them. How do you know when to harvest. I know it's in august some time so I may be getting a bit ahead of myself. I just want to make sure I have my ducks in a row so I don't fubar anything.:) I can't wait to get started!!! :tank:

I'm going to keep this simple, search yahoo or the forum for Hop Rhizomes and you will get more detailed information (how to plant, etc.).

Anyway, order the rhizomes now. Most online HBS have them for preorder. Not too sure how long they last as this is my first year also, but I would preorder some instead of waiting until april and them be out of something you wanted to grow.

Second, plant after the last frost of the winter. Usually early april will do. The twine idea you described should work. Use some peat moss/manure/potting soil if your soil is not ideal. Water frequently.

Harvest when the lupulin glands are yellow and have good aroma; August should do.

Unfortunately a rhizome is not going to provide much of a yield in year 1, maybe not even in year 2, depends. Year 1, almost definitely not enough to brew with after dried (from what I hear), so I wouldn't get my hopes up. The good news is, you can establish the root system this year and have a good yield for brewing in the future. A mature plant can probably provide 1-2lbs. of hops, I would guess.

Good luck!

And water them! Lots, as if it was bluegrass. That's one thing most sites don't tell you.

Can you put them in a pot, A really big pot of course. One of those that's 30"ish at the top and equally as tall. Is that a good idea? I have a large portion of the south side of my home all cemented up. It's a nice patio but i'm sure hops won't grow in concrete. :p or do they really need to be in the ground?(note: I am planning on planting about 5 plants this year in the ground, just trying to squeeze a few more in where I can't dig earth up :D )

Oh yeah, forgot to ask this my last post, I have a fence on the most souther part of my lot. Can you plant hops on the northern side of a fence if you have a trellise(sp?) so it can reach sunlight when it grows tall or does the whole plant need to be in direct sunlight?

I actually planted some a few years back and go a fairly good yield in years one with Cascade, but virtually nothing with Northern and Fuggles until year two. Not sure if it's hop specific or whetehr the Cascades were in a prime spot, but it is possible to get a good yield in year one.

Must be the miracle grow... :p oops, that was a bit much... hehehehe;) I am looking for willamette, simcoe, amarillo, crystal and sorachi ace this year. Maybe mt hood. I know I like them all, and will use them all. now, just getting the rhyzomes.

Latest posts

Back