When to add gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedennis

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a pale ale that is a clone of Sierra Nevada's pale ale. It has been in the primary fermentor for a week now. I plan on leaving it in primary for at least another week and a half to two weeks. Now I am wondering when to add the gelatin to it to help clear it up. I have read some other post on the internet about adding it as I keg it. I don't know if this is the best time to add it or not. Any suggestions from anyone that regularly uses gelatin?

Secondary question: Should a rack to secondary or keep it in extended primary? There are a lot for and against each side.

I just did this with a kolsch. I did it in the secondary and cold crashed for about 4 days before adding gelatin. Then I kegged it. I think the secret is the colder you can get it closer to 34-36 degrees, the better the gelatin works. There will be sediment at the bottom of the keg that you'll want to draw off before it will pour clear if you decide to dump directly in the keg. I will use the keg next time and not a secondary.

Avoid secondary. Transferring from one bucket to other can increase the chance of contamination and ruin your beer. Better leave it two weeks total in the primary and then bottle or keg it, leaving it for another week or ten days before crack one.
I just finished my second sierra clone batch and they've turned fantastic (one kit from AHBS and the other from Midwest).

I don't typically use a secondary so my routine is primary 2-4 weeks, coldcrash 2-3 days, rack to keg. I put gelatin in when the keg goes in the keezer and has been chilled for a day or so.

Cold crash the primary then as you transfer to keg with beer still very cold add the gelatin in the keg. I put about 1/2 a little packet of Knox gelatin with 2/3 cup of water in microwave until it gets to 160F (1 to 1 min 15 sec). Beer will be nice and clear in a week or so.

Sent via carrier pigeon

I use secondary's all the time with no issues. As long as you are careful and sanitize, you will be fine . I always transfer to a corney keg as my secondary vessel. Easier to dry hop in and move around. Dry hop if your beer requires or it, and when it comes time to cold crash, throw the keg in the fridge and let it get cold, about. 24-48 hours. I then boil a cup of water , let it cool some and throw in the gelatin and stir until it's clear, then drop into the cold keg. By letting the beer crash for the first 2 days, bigger particulates drop out first, and the gelatin clears up anything left in suspension. This process has worked for me every time with no ill effect. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394408092.223363.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394408104.046639.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am currently brewing a pale ale that is a clone of Sierra Nevada's pale ale. It has been in the primary fermentor for a week now. I plan on leaving it in primary for at least another week and a half to two weeks. Now I am wondering when to add the gelatin to it to help clear it up. I have read some other post on the internet about adding it as I keg it. I don't know if this is the best time to add it or not. Any suggestions from anyone that regularly uses gelatin?

Secondary question: Should a rack to secondary or keep it in extended primary? There are a lot for and against each side.

I've been using geletin for a few months. I've added to primary and cold crashed with success. I've added to secondary and cold crashed with success, and I've added to my kegs and cold crashed with success.

Seems to me, you can add it before cold crashing and be successful.

That's from my limited experience.

Just to be clear... Before using geletin, I had a few very clear beers. After I started using geletin, every beer I've keged has been crystal clear. No matter what stage I've added the geletin.

Latest posts

Back