When to add fruit to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bremski

Reaction score
I just brewed a milkshake ipa and am wondering when I should add my fruit puree to my big mouth bubbler? I am using a tilt hydrometer so I can actively track my specific gravity along the way. I have read that fermentables can generally be added around 2/3 of fermentation. Does this sound right or anyone have any other suggestions? I have the depth charge with the big mouth bubbler so the puree and vanilla beans will be added in the primary vessel.

Thanks

2/3 sounds reasonable. I like to wait until fermentation is about 75% complete. I figure the later I add fruit the more flavor will remain in the finished beer.

If you have a Tilt, then I would add at the bottom inflection of fermentation. Basically late as possible while yeast are still munching.

upload_2020-4-12_20-16-32.jpeg

I made a raspberry wheat beer and added 3.5kg of pasteurized raspberries to a 19l batch on day 2 of fermentation a lá a NEIPA and it made a good hazy milkshake type beer. It’s maybe too late now but if you’re doing this style again it might be worth trying out.

Attachments

• AC610E49-E4CF-467F-9616-381AA5DD25F3.jpeg
    AC610E49-E4CF-467F-9616-381AA5DD25F3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Back