When to add fermcap, oxygenate, and pitch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittlejohnBrew

Reaction score
TLDR: When to add fermcap, oxygen, and yeast to prevent mixing of Fermcap with yeast?

I have recently begun to ferment in corny kegs and due to messy blowoff of 5 gal batches I decided to use Kerry Fermcap S in my last batch.

I added the Fermcap immediately after transferring cool wort (~80F) to the fermentation corny keg. I let this chill overnight to get down to pitching temperature. After about 12 hours I pitched the yeast. At this point I usually use a paint stirrer attached to a drill to aerate the wort, but based on the instructions for Fermcap below I was afraid to do so since it may mix the Fermcap with the yeast.

"For 5 gallons, mix 0.2-1.6 grams into wort when it is transferred into the fermentation vessel. If not added before pitching yeast, FermCap® should be applied as a spray to the fermenting wort to avoid mixing with the yeast."

After transferring to kegerator I am now noticing a faint green apple taste which I suspect is due to poor aeration and production of excessive acetaldehyde. To ensure I properly oxygenate I plan to purchase an oxygenation kit.

That leads me to what is the best sequence to add Fermcap, oxygen, and yeast knowing that about 12 hours are needed to cool the wort to pitching temperature?

Last edited:
I used to use Fermcap in both the boil, they say it transfers over to the fermenter, and in the fermenter. Even using it I had the occasional boil over and blow off so I stopped using it. I never read anything about keeping it off the yeast. Some wait for the krausen to form then add the Fermcap. I don't know any way you could keep it from the yeast anyway. Unless they are talking about getting it on dry yeast that was sprinkled on the surface.

Aeration is important especially with liquid yeast. I would aerate no matter what the Fermcap says.

That leads me to what is the best sequence to add Fermcap, oxygen, and yeast knowing that about 12 hours are needed to cool the wort to pitching temperature? Get the temperature right before pitching the yeast.

Get the temperature right before pitching the yeast.

Sorry I may have not been clear. Right now I chill the wort as cool as I can which during the summer in the South is about 80F. I then put the wort in the closed corny keg into my chest freezer with a temp controller and let it chill to about 65F. At that point I typically aerate and pitch yeast. Now that I am adding Fermcap to the equation Im not sure what is the best process/timing.

Per BSG, "Because of the novel behavior of FermCap®, it completely adsorbs onto the yeast.." which I guess is why you don't want to mix the yeast with the Fermcap.

I was taught (whether right or wrong) to wait until the batch is in active fermentation before adding the FermCap. The logic was that if you add it too early it will drop out of suspension. If you add it during active fermentation the activity will keep it swirling around so that it can do its thing.

Per BSG, "Because of the novel behavior of FermCap®, it completely adsorbs onto the yeast.." which I guess is why you don't want to mix the yeast with the Fermcap.

I never saw this before but my question is that yeast are thoroughly suspended in the wort. Fermcap will be thoroughly mixed in... How can you possibly keep them separate???

I never saw this before but my question is that yeast are thoroughly suspended in the wort. Fermcap will be thoroughly mixed in... How can you possibly keep them separate???

Haha yeah that's what confused me as well. Maybe I'll try what @petemoss suggests and add during active fermentation. To ensure its added before high krausen maybe add 12-24 hours after pitching yeast?

Latest posts

Back