When to add Enzymes and Decoction Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAD_NZ_Brewer

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am relatively new to all grain brewing, and use the BIAB method.

For my next batch, a friend and I are going to make a GF Lager. I haven't made a GF beer before so have been reading a lot, but am still a bit confused about when to add Amylase Enzyme during the mash. Also, which mashing method I should use is confusing also.

I think that Decoction Mashing may provide the best results. Has anyone ever used this method? Here is the steps for Decoction that I have found would work best for us:

1. Heat 5 gallons of water to 44C and mix in crushed malt
2. Rest at 40C for 10 minutes
3. Remove 1/3 of the mash and boil for 20 minutes
4. Add back to main mash and rest at 60C for 30 minutes
5. Remove 1/3 of the mash and boil for 20 minutes
6. Add back to main mash and rest at 71C for 30 minutes
7. Remove 1/3 of the mash and boil for 20 minutes
8. Add back to main mash and rest at 75C for 60 minutes
9. Sparge with 3.5 gallons of water at 76C

It doesn't say anything about when to add the enzyme. Also, I think the only enzyme we have been able to source in NZ is Alpha, similar to this one:
https://www.haurakihomebrew.co.nz/turbo-yeast-other-wash-ingredients/636-alpha-amylase-enzyme.html

My Recipe is:

• 7 lbs White Sorghum Malt (mash/sparge)
  • 3 lbs Flaked Rice (mash/sparge)
  • 1 lb Flaked Corn (mash/sparge)
  • 1 oz Tettnanger Whole Hops (90 min)
  • 1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)
  • 1 lb Light Brown Sugar (1 min)
  • 1.5 lb Honey (1 min)
  • Dry Lager Yeast
Does anyone know if the sugar and honey added at the end is to increase the fermentable sugars?

I know there are several questions in here but any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are many ways to go about the mash. Here's a recent discussion of some of them. It's a bit choppy, but there is good info. Also, look for the PowerPoint later in the vid which does a great job of breaking things down. There is a decantation mash listed that may interest you.

Basically, in order to gelatinaze the GF grains, we murder the enzmes, so we must add them back in some form. Many guys use Termamyl at 170+ for gelatinization because it is temp stable. Then the mash is cooled to 150ish where SEBAmyl L or Diastase or AMG300, etc are added. It is possible to do a decantation mash to save the enzmes. Most of us take the easy road and add enzymes.

The honey and sugars are probably to get the sugars to the desired SG as well as add some color so you don’t have a clear colored beer.

A Decoction mash process is used if you want to use the natural enzymes in the GF malt grains. Because the only malt in this recipe is the white sorghum you will have no where near enough natural enzymes present to convert the starches into sugars. So in my opinion a Decoction mash is going to be a whole lot of work for no reason.

If you’re doing BIAB I would just do a single-infusion mash with enzymes for 90-120 minutes and then sparge.

Sounds like you’re having a hard time finding enzymes to use. I know distillation is legal in NZ so you might be able to find some through home still stores or websites. Stillers often use the same enzymes to convert corn feed starches without having to add lots of barley. Here is a stilling website in the states showing SEBstar HTL and SEBAmyl GL.

https://moonshinedistiller.com/distilling-additives

Hopefully you can find something similar!

Good luck!

There are many ways to go about the mash. Here's a recent discussion of some of them. It's a bit choppy, but there is good info. Also, look for the PowerPoint later in the vid which does a great job of breaking things down. There is a decantation mash listed that may interest you.

Basically, in order to gelatinaze the GF grains, we murder the enzmes, so we must add them back in some form. Many guys use Termamyl at 170+ for gelatinization because it is temp stable. Then the mash is cooled to 150ish where SEBAmyl L or Diastase or AMG300, etc are added. It is possible to do a decantation mash to save the enzmes. Most of us take the easy road and add enzymes.

Thanks for the video, it was helpful. Decantation Mashing seems to be a good method for saving the natural enzymes.

The honey and sugars are probably to get the sugars to the desired SG as well as add some color so you don’t have a clear colored beer.

A Decoction mash process is used if you want to use the natural enzymes in the GF malt grains. Because the only malt in this recipe is the white sorghum you will have no where near enough natural enzymes present to convert the starches into sugars. So in my opinion a Decoction mash is going to be a whole lot of work for no reason.

If you’re doing BIAB I would just do a single-infusion mash with enzymes for 90-120 minutes and then sparge.

Sounds like you’re having a hard time finding enzymes to use. I know distillation is legal in NZ so you might be able to find some through home still stores or websites. Stillers often use the same enzymes to convert corn feed starches without having to add lots of barley. Here is a stilling website in the states showing SEBstar HTL and SEBAmyl GL.

https://moonshinedistiller.com/distilling-additives

Hopefully you can find something similar!

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. I have been able to source Alpha Amylase, but not Beta Amylase.

Back