When force carbonating, is the CO2 valve always open?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mttaylor1066

Reaction score
I searched and could not find the answer on this forum...

I just received my pin lock keg, taps, regulator and CO2 tank.

I cranked up the level to 20 PSI, put the keg/tank in the mini fridge... after cooling the PSI reads about 12.

My question is: do I need to leave the valve open to carbonate the beer properly? Or does the internal pressure within the keg do that without any further help from my CO2 bottle?

Thanks, ladies and gents.

If you pressurize and just let it sit with the valve closed, you will find that the pressure quickly drop because the CO2 dissolves. So, if you carbonate by chilling and pressurizing over time (a few days) then leave the valve open.

HOWEVER, when I carbonate I'm generally behind the curve so I pressurize and then shake. After a little bit I turn the valve off while I shake to help keep beer from entering the line and flowing back to the regulator. No I don't have a backflow preventer, yes I know they are a lot cheaper than a regulator. :)

Yes, leave the valve open. A good rule of thumb is 30 psi for 36 hours on cold flat beer. If your beer is warm, it will take longer to carb at a given pressure.

Be careful not to over carb!!!

Back