When Do You Need A De-Humidifier For Your Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
I have a hygrometer that shows within my Keezer is approximately 60% humidity. Is there a specific percentage or sign to know when you need to purchase a de-humidifier for your keezer?

I keep a bucket of damp rid in my keezer. Eventually it will get saturated. I don't ever see condensation or anything in my keezer so I assume it works.

I keep a bucket of damp rid in my keezer. Eventually it will get saturated. I don't ever see condensation or anything in my keezer so I assume it works.

Liquid sometimes collects and pools at the bottom of my keezer. I assume this is condensation right?

I think most kezzers have this issue. They are designed to run at freezing temps not refrigerator temps. My lid is heavy and buckles the magnetic seals allowing air to pass. I use my shop vac every month or two to get the water out. I tried the beads but didn't have any luck.

Mold can live below 32F but not likely to grow at 38F. I've never had an issue but I do routinely vacuum out the water and wipe down with disinfectant.

I think most kezzers have this issue. They are designed to run at freezing temps not refrigerator temps. My lid is heavy and buckles the magnetic seals allowing air to pass. I use my shop vac every month or two to get the water out. I tried the beads but didn't have any luck.

Mold can live below 32F but not likely to grow at 38F. I've never had an issue but I do routinely vacuum out the water and wipe down with disinfectant.

Didn't know you could use shop vacs on liquid! Good to know!

In between batches I prop the lid open and keep my reticulation fan going until it dries out.
Oops sorry Thought you were talking about a Fermenter chamber.

Last edited:
I use damprid and have a fan in there to keep things moving. Still get some condensation but the damprid gets a lot of it.

Good luck!

you'll get condensation in a keezer, no way around it. how much you get is a function of how humid the atmosphere is, how often you open the lid, etc. i've tried the 'wireless' dehumidifiers and found them to not be that great. they would saturate quickly and take forever to dry out when plugged in. could be a size issue though, not enough units. they are pricey so i went with a couple of the silica bead 'bags' in cardboard boxes. these work better and dry out in the oven after just a few hours. i recharge them once a month but could probably do it more frequently. i haven't tried the damp rid but assume it does the same thing, just don't like the idea of throwing it out and having to buy new.

be sure you have some fans moving air around in the keezer. not only will it help with keeping the volume a constant temperature but it also moves humid air around to the dehumidification product, helps keep it dry.

the kegs, co2 and beer/gas lines form a sealed system so it isn't the end of the world if you get a little funk in there but better to avoid if possible. i've resigned myself to once a year pulling all the kegs out and giving the keezer internal a good scrub down. stagnant water, spilled beer, etc. eventually should be cleaned up.

I keep my keezer in the garage, so it gets very wet in the summer. I just drop the shop vac hose in and suck out what I can and use a towel to dry out the rest. I have to do this every few weeks.

Monsoon season here in AZ is when I REALLY need it. But I use it year round. I use an eva-dry. Works okay at best when the monsoons are heavy. But I rarely remove water from it so good enough for me.

I have a few fans blowing in mine, I still get a fair amount of ice build up along the coils... using internal temp mod it runs around 38 degrees... I just chip it off every month or so...

I have a few fans blowing in mine, I still get a fair amount of ice build up along the coils... using internal temp mod it runs around 38 degrees... I just chip it off every month or so...

I have the same problem with ice build up, I do the same chip it off. Really wish I was able to control the moisture getting in.

I have the same problem with ice build up, I do the same chip it off. Really wish I was able to control the moisture getting in.

its sealed as tight as i can get it... I try not to open it more than necessary... maybe winter will be less ice inside...

Back