when am i gonna get sick and croak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lfark said:
if it ain't broke don't try to fix it?
I can understand your reasoning, up to a point. But I feel it would be more helpful to think in terms of the odds of a particular outcome happening again, rather than on the outcome of specific instances in the past. Let's say that if you sanitise properly (with a cheap excellent sanitiser such as Star San, which is so good I drink a pint of it every day for breakfast). The odds of getting an infection in your beer are likely going to be less than 1%. So if you brewed 50 times, you'd likely get 50 good batches. And let's say that if you don't sanitise, you will probably get lucky more often than not, so the odds of getting an infection might be about 10% (for the sake of argument). That would mean most of your batches would be fine, but out of 50 batches, 5 of them would taste like a dog's ass.

Those numbers are plucked out of the air, so I may have over- or underestimated the chances of getting dog's ass beer. But the point is, being lucky in the past doesn't mean that the decision made then was a good one, or that it would also lead to being lucky in the future. Think of it as a less serious version of Russian Roulette - getting lucky on a few occasions doesn't mean you're good at it. It just means you were lucky. Of course, for people who like the taste of dog's ass, they should probably save their money and not buy any sanitiser, as they clearly aren't bothered about drinking nasty beer. Though if that's the taste they're aiming for, it'd probably be simpler if they skipped the brewing altogether and just bought a dog.

Danek said:
I can understand your reasoning, up to a point. But I feel it would be more helpful to think in terms of the odds of a particular outcome happening again, rather than on the outcome of specific instances in the past. Let's say that if you sanitise properly (with a cheap excellent sanitiser such as Star San, which is so good I drink a pint of it every day for breakfast). The odds of getting an infection in your beer are likely going to be less than 1%. So if you brewed 50 times, you'd likely get 50 good batches. And let's say that if you don't sanitise, you will probably get lucky more often than not, so the odds of getting an infection might be about 10% (for the sake of argument). That would mean most of your batches would be fine, but out of 50 batches, 5 of them would taste like a dog's ass.

Those numbers are plucked out of the air, so I may have over- or underestimated the chances of getting dog's ass beer. But the point is, being lucky in the past doesn't mean that the decision made then was a good one, or that it would also lead to being lucky in the future. Think of it as a less serious version of Russian Roulette - getting lucky on a few occasions doesn't mean you're good at it. It just means you were lucky. Of course, for people who like the taste of dog's ass, they should probably save their money and not buy any sanitiser, as they clearly aren't bothered about drinking nasty beer. Though if that's the taste they're aiming for, it'd probably be simpler if they skipped the brewing altogether and just bought a dog.

i have yet to taste an infected beer.

many years ago i tried to make a batch, sterilized and rinsed everything carefully. two things i) it tasted lousy ii) i swear there was a sulphur taste and i think it was from the sterilizing chemicals.

so in that case i was one for one and never brewed another batch till recently. now i am seven for seven good batches without sterilizing. and i would say i screwed up the procedure in five of those seven.

when i do get an infected batch i will try star san and see how it turns out.

p.s.

i bought a case of commercial brew, lakeport, pc or something. a new brand. i used to drink straight from the bottle (never with home brew). it had an awful taste around the cap. i figured it was the sterilizing chemicals.

lfark said:
i have yet to taste an infected beer.

many years ago i tried to make a batch, sterilized and rinsed everything carefully. two things i) it tasted lousy ii) i swear there was a sulphur taste and i think it was from the sterilizing chemicals.

so in that case i was one for one and never brewed another batch till recently. now i am seven for seven good batches without sterilizing. and i would say i screwed up the procedure in five of those seven.

when i do get an infected batch i will try star san and see how it turns out.

p.s.

i bought a case of commercial brew, lakeport, pc or something. a new brand. i used to drink straight from the bottle (never with home brew). it had an awful taste around the cap. i figured it was the sterilizing chemicals.
Actually, sod it, you've convinced me. I'm pouring my Star San down the toilet the minute I get home.

Prost! :mug:

Danek said:
Actually, sod it, you've convinced me. I'm pouring my Star San down the toilet the minute I get home.

something i do that may effect the equation.

i use grolsch swing top bottles. i separate the swing top from the gasket and wash in very soapy water and then let dry in a steel mesh strainer for at least a day. i take heed of the fact that moisture breeds bacteria.

Danek said:

why the hell would you do such a thing?

Something tells me they weren't using Sunlight detergent to clean their swing-tops 300 years ago....

I had an interesting experience with a recent batch, it came out tasting strangely similar to bud light. Does that mean I have an infection problem? :D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43688

The above FAQ thread contains lots of good, pertinent information on the subject. Even if your approach is unconventional, lfark, good for you. Now when you get an infection, I'll be over here with my bulk-sized StarSan bottles. Yes, that's plural. I keep kegs of the stuff sitting around, even for sanitizing my silverware after washing. Better safe than sorry is my opinion. Everyone has their own opinion, though, as do you.

Have a good afternoon.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...san&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

STAR SAN is a blend of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid.

DANGER: Corrosive to skin and eye, contains Phosphoric Acid. Harmful if swallowed. Do not get in eyes, on skin or
on clothing. Wear protective goggles and clothing when using. Avoid contamination of food. DO NOT MIX STAR
SAN WITH CHLORINATED CLEANERS AS CHLORINE GAS WILL RESULT. Do not use or store near heat or open flame.
See label for more precautionary information.

FIRST AID:
For Eyes: Hold eyes open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if
present, after the first five minutes. Then continue rinsing. Call Poison Control Center or doctor for treatment
advice.
If Swallowed: Call Poison Control Center or doctor immediately for treatment advice. Have person sip on a glass
of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by the Poison Control doctor. Do not give
anything to an unconscious person.
If on Skin or Clothing: Take off contaminated clothing. Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water for 15-20
minutes. Call Poison Control Center for treatment advice.
If Inhaled: Move person to fresh air. If person is not breathing call 911 or an ambulance, then give artificial
respiration, preferably mouth-to-mouth if possible. Call a Poison Control Center or doctor for treatment.
NOTE TO PHYSICIAN: Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage. Measure against
circulatory shock, respiratory depression and convulsion may be needed.

its got phosphates like regular detergent. and it sounds like sulphur and benzene. sounds tasty.

I guess lfark wanted us all to say, 'wow, I am such a F*ckhead for spending all of this money on santizer! I am going to change not only my brewing practices, but my entire lifestyle based on his posting!'

Sorry you didn't like the answers you got, buddy.

EDIT - so when are we starting the lottery he mentioned?

lfark said:
Harmful if swallowed.

If Swallowed: Call Poison Control Center or doctor immediately for treatment advice. Have person sip on a glass
of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by the Poison Control doctor. Do not give
anything to an unconscious person.

wow, so I must be superman if I took a shot from a spray bottle and it didn't kill me

I feel so empowered

Seems to me that this has run its course.

If the OP doesn't want to use sanitizer, that's fine. No beer swaps for you! I think I can safely say that your "arguments" haven't been convincing.

Here's a warning, too... if you're just here to troll, you're not going to be welcome here.

Here's something else that is dangerous enough to warrant a government label:

GOVERNMENT WARNING: (1) According to the Surgeon general, women should not drink alcoholic beverages during pregnancy because of the risk of birth defects. (2) Consumption of alcoholic beverages impairs your ability to drive a car or operate machinery, and may cause health problems.

WARNING: Drinking distilled spirits, beer, coolers, wine, and other alcoholic beverages during pregnancy can cause birth defects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back