wheat substitute for a pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussie brewer

Reaction score
Hi im planning to brew this recipe but I cant use wheat(celiac) im using clarity ferm to reduce the gluten. What do you guys think would best suit this recipe? cheers!
4kg traditional ale malt
1.10kg munich 1 (15ebc)
0.30kg carapils
0.30kg wheat malt
20g Chinook 20 min
30g cascade 20min
10g cascade 10 min
10g Chinook 10 min
20g cascade 0 min
20g Chinook 0 min

ibu 34

Just use more base malt. There is no need for Wheat malt in that specific recipe. You already have have a fine base malt, Munich and Carapils, and Wheat malt would simply not add anything extra or wow.

I'm not really sure how much of a difference this would make anyway. Unless there's a difference between the gluten in wheat and the gluten in barley, wouldn't being intolerant of gluten cause problems either way. I know clarity ferm cuts down the gluten, typically to a level that could be certified as "gluten free" in many countries but still far over the threshhold of people with severe celiac disease.

Both wheat and barley contain gluten. Those process aids you can buy do reduce it to the level where the beer can be sold as gluten-free, so I’d consider that to be your solution.

Are you coeliac or gluten intolerant? I know two people with coeliac and thought the clarity ferm didn't reduce it enough. The two people I know can't have gluten free toast made in a toaster used with normal toast.

Anyway wheat don't matter imo in terms of recipe.

Are you coeliac or gluten intolerant? I know two people with coeliac and thought the clarity ferm didn't reduce it enough. The two people I know can't have gluten free toast made in a toaster used with normal toast.

Anyway wheat don't matter imo in terms of recipe.
Cheers iseneye, im coeliac and gave up beer for the last few years,
I came across clarity ferm and got my hopes up!!

Both wheat and barley contain gluten. Those process aids you can buy do reduce it to the level where the beer can be sold as gluten-free, so I’d consider that to be your solution.
thanks hth1975, I just assumed wheat contained more gluten than barley??

Just use more base malt. There is no need for Wheat malt in that specific recipe. You already have have a fine base malt, Munich and Carapils, and Wheat malt would simply not add anything extra or wow.
thanks thehaze that's my plan now!

I'm not really sure how much of a difference this would make anyway. Unless there's a difference between the gluten in wheat and the gluten in barley, wouldn't being intolerant of gluten cause problems either way. I know clarity ferm cuts down the gluten, typically to a level that could be certified as "gluten free" in many countries but still far over the threshhold of people with severe celiac disease.
Cheers fat dragon, im hoping clarity ferm reduces the gluten enough for me to have a couple of tasty beers every couple of weeks

Back