Wheat recipe Good, bad somthing off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stix

Reaction score
4.5# wheat malt bel
4.5# 2 row US
2# flaked wheat
1# rice hulls
1# Munich malt
.75 Centennial 30 minute boil
US 05

Gonna be adding cherries to secondary. Anything look to far off in this recipe? Any changes one might do. Just looking for some criticism or a thumbs up.

It's fine I mean typically you use Nobel hops but if you want citrus then that is a good call.

A pound of rice hulls is kinda ridic. Think about the difference between wheat and barley malt:

Wheat = No hull = ~84% extract yield
Barley = With hull = ~78% extract yield

84% - 78% = 6%. So you need to add about 6% of the weight of the wheat in your recipe as hulls to have the same concentration of filter material as an all-barley mash. (4.5 lb + 2 lb) * 6% = 0.39 lb.

I've done several 60% wheat mashes with zero added hulls and no problems with lautering.

Not sure what style you want to stick to but I feel like US05 in your cherry wheat will make it a little blah. I also wouldn't mix citrus hop flavor with a cherry wheat. I would actually rely on your yeast and cherries for most of the flavors, not the hops.

I did a raspberry wheat last summer where I used wlp320 and I was really happy with it. It imparts just enough clove spice to make things interesting. I think it would accent your cherries quite nicely.

Back