wheat malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I just finished brewing a weizenbock and my efficiency was REALLY low (beersmith had it calculated at 1.079 and I got 1.042!). The recipe called for 9 lbs of wheat malt. My LHBS had red wheat and they said it was the same thing. I was wondering if this is true or could this have accounted for my low gravity.

Just trying to figure out my low OG.

thanks

I just finished brewing a weizenbock and my efficiency was REALLY low (beersmith had it calculated at 1.079 and I got 1.042!). The recipe called for 9 lbs of wheat malt. My LHBS had red wheat and they said it was the same thing. I was wondering if this is true or could this have accounted for my low gravity.

Just trying to figure out my low OG.

thanks

Yes, you can use the red. But my own experience with wheat malt (not much, as I don't like wheat beers) is that those wheat kernels are small and hard, and I have to run them through the crusher twice, or at a tighter gap. Maybe your wheat wasn't well crushed?

Back