Wheat malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dMclaren

Reaction score
Can any success be had when steeping wheat malt with other grains?

The reason I ask is that currently I do not have a luater tun, but would like to use wheat for its head retention and flavor characteristics.

Could I steep at the various temperatures needed for starch conversion then bring up to the higher temps for fermentable sugars in the brewing pot, Avoiding the need for a lauter tun and the sparging process?

Thanks!

Might have better success at a response to this question if you re-post this in the "all grain" section.

cheers, loop

dMclaren said:
Can any success be had when steeping wheat malt with other grains?

The reason I ask is that currently I do not have a luater tun, but would like to use wheat for its head retention and flavor characteristics.

Could I steep at the various temperatures needed for starch conversion then bring up to the higher temps for fermentable sugars in the brewing pot, Avoiding the need for a lauter tun and the sparging process?

Thanks!
Well I can't really answer your question, but it seems to me that if you just want a little wheat in there for head retention, then it would be easier to just toss in some wheat DME than try to get it from steeping.

Head retention is aided by additional protein. Wheat malt is high in protein thus it supposedly aids in head retention. I guess the question is, does steeping extract protein from the grains or just flavor?

I checked my Palmer book (How to brew) and it lists wheat malt and flaked wheat as both requiring mashing.. so I guess you'll need to mash to get the benefit of wheat. On another note, carapils is also good for head retention but also seems to require mashing.

Thanks guys for the help. I'm hoping to buy the equipment for some all-grain brewing when I can scrounge up the cash, so I guess I will try all of this out later.

Back