wheat beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clementine

Reaction score
Greeting HBTers,
My question to the collective knowledge is....

Aside from stuck sparges is there anything else I need to watch for in a wheat beer mash?

I know it is kinda stupid but this is my first all grain batch of beer. I mashed some grain on the stove as a practice, that worked. I then built a cooler mash tun and tried it yesterday on 4lb of two row to make yeast food and it worked like a charm, BrewSmith + advice from this forum got me to hit my temps dead on! In my test run of my Mash Tun I got 2.1 Gallons or 1.048 from 4lbs of grain so my efficiency is not terrible though it needs some improving.

I'm a little nervous about getting the process right. The grain bill is below and I have a pound of rice husks to add to improve the runnings. I'm using a SS braid cooler for my mash tun and batch sparging.

7lb Red Wheat Malt (I think it is red, LHBS only has one wheat malt and it looks red in color???)
4lb German Pils
1lb Rice hulls

Thanks in advance for the info.

Clem

Looks fine to me, since you are using Wheat Malt it has the needed enzymes. So you don't have to worry about having enough barley in the mash.

Good luck and happy brewing~

Back