Wheat beer Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo

Reaction score
Ok, I've only made 2 batches of wheat beer and I don't know if this is normal or not.... I have a finished (I think) batch of wheat beer in bottles that have been carbonating for 3 weeks or so with corn sugar. When I test one, it has a nice head, lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom, it tastes and smells fine, but as I drink it there is this opaque cloudy white film that coats the glass, similar to lace, but it isn't lace. Also, I've made other styles and have never seen this with any other homebrew.
I can only think of two reasons for this : Either the beer hasn't finished carbonating completely (maybe wheat beers take longer to carbonate), and the film is undisolved corn sugar. Or, since I didn't use any clarifying agents whatsoever, and didn't rack to secondary, it's some kind of protien coagulation or something.
Is this normal? What do you think it is, and is there a way to fix it?
Thanks.

*****PLEASE DELETE THIS POST. I accidently posted the same thing twice and now I can't delete this one :(
Thanks again

this is normal.. I have that for my wheat beer too... I think it is just foam from the wheat protein. Did you see this thing in action in primary... if you have, you know it is pretty "explosive".

Back