Wheat beer Idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Realidad

Reaction score
So im half way through the fermentation of my Wheat beer and im wondering if I should perhaps add any flavourings to it at some stage?

I particularly enjoy the banana-like flavour to some weissbeers and also enjoy the more belgic corriander, bitter orange and orange additives.

Do you guys think that I should add anything at this stage or perhaps wait for next time and add to the actual wort?

So im half way through the fermentation of my Wheat beer and im wondering if I should perhaps add any flavourings to it at some stage?

I particularly enjoy the banana-like flavour to some weissbeers and also enjoy the more belgic corriander, bitter orange and orange additives.

Do you guys think that I should add anything at this stage or perhaps wait for next time and add to the actual wort?
Do you have any way of splitting the batch? My last hefe was split into two batches... one bottled right away, the other racked onto peaches for another couple weeks. I supposed you could siphon off half into your bottling bucket and dump whatever flavoring you want into the remainder of the batch to sit for a while if you do not have an extra fermentation vessel.

I think it depends on what you want to add. Some spices like the coriander and bitter orange are probably better for the boil. I lke to add fruit to my wheats every now and then and that's better during fermentation (and even better if you are kegging) or I suppose some things you could "dry hop"--like orange peel or vanilla bean. The banana you reference is a yeast/fermentation characteristic from the german hefe yeasts that comes from an elevated ferementation temperature.

If all else fails, you could add some fruit syrup to your pint glass ala the traditon for Berliner Weisse beers - though I admit this isn't probably what you're getting at.

Lots of options - lots of beer - lots of fun!

I had a lot of banana due to the witbier yeast and fermenting starting around 78 then slowly dropping to 68 over the course of 4 days (just happened to be how it turned out). I'm hoping they stay in there because I had a commercially produced wheat bear last night that was horribly uninspiring...don't want mine that way.

Been wondering if I should bottle this "young" or wait the usual 3 weeks? Hefes are "best enjoyed young" according to some.

By young, they mean within a short period of time as the flavors given by the yeast fade over time like hop flavors tend to do. You still want to make sure fermentation is complete and let carb/condition for the typical 3 weeks. If you like the banana flavor, ferment towards the high end of the yeasts range.

Thanks guys! The advice has been awesome.

I managed to get a good hint of the Banana by increasing my temp by 5C.
I do have another question however,

I filled bottles up and have 4.5 litres of the stuff left in the fermenter...anybody got advice on what to do with that? Im thinking of experimenting with it. :)

Thanks guys! The advice has been awesome.

I managed to get a good hint of the Banana by increasing my temp by 5C.
I do have another question however,

I filled bottles up and have 4.5 litres of the stuff left in the fermenter...anybody got advice on what to do with that? Im thinking of experimenting with it. :)

Pitch dregs of something with lacto and let it sit for a while.

Edit: Sorry for the double post

Back