Wheat Beer clarity question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slnies

Reaction score
So as I had the time last night, I decided to try my hand at a wheat beer. Everything went well, but one question i have is " How clear should my wort get in the recirculation?". Under normal circumstances when I recirc. my wort becomes almost crystal clear or at worst a little haze. I mark my haze up to too fine a crush, but even then it gets pretty clear. Last night though the best I could get was translucent dark yellow wort, and in my opinion not very clear. Is this normal for wheat or am I doing something wrong?

Wheat beer is usually cloudy. That is a function of both the yeast strains used which don't floculate well and the use of wheat in the mash. It is part of the style and desirable,

GT

Got Trub? said:
Wheat beer is usually cloudy. That is a function of both the yeast strains used which don't floculate well and the use of wheat in the mash. It is part of the style and desirable,

GT
That makes me feel better. I pitched the yeast early this morning after racking into the fermenter, but I had doubts. Everything else was spot on, so at worst I figured I would have a grainy tasting beer. Thanks again. S

Back