What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Electrical Engineer. Design in Commercial Nuclear. BS in Electrical Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

I took a couple years of art school for illustration/animation related stuff. I work retail selling alcoholic beverages.

I am offended and triggered that there is no option that specifically describes me: former engineer (metallurgist) now employed in healthcare (flight nurse).

I'll forgive you after my next beer. :mug:

***Update***

As of Monday, I am officially an nursing student.

GREAT choice. It's a really good gig. I made almost ten grand a year more my first day as a nurse with an ADN than I did on my first day as an engineer with a BS. Lots of career choices.

If you do actual patient care, do everything you can to get on a unit that does 12 hour shifts. Working three days a week, FTW! I will NEVER go back to the "M-F, usually OT on Sat, even some Sundays" lifestyle that factory engineering pushed me into.

microbiologist...so this is kind of a natural (see what I did there) hobby.

Water Resource Control Engineer checking in. I deal with wastewater treatment plants and their resulting water quality.

GREAT choice. It's a really good gig. I made almost ten grand a year more my first day as a nurse with an ADN than I did on my first day as an engineer with a BS. Lots of career choices.

If you do actual patient care, do everything you can to get on a unit that does 12 hour shifts. Working three days a week, FTW! I will NEVER go back to the "M-F, usually OT on Sat, even some Sundays" lifestyle that factory engineering pushed me into.
This is a running "debate" (for lack of better terms) between me and my gf. I'm an engineering tech, working M-F 8-5:30. She's a pediatric nurse, with rotations to nursery and OB, working 12 hour shifts, with a string of night shifts thrown in every 3-4 weeks. During that crossover, if she takes 1 day of PTO, she ends up with over a week off. She never fails to jab me during that time, "I don't know how you can stand to work 5 DAYS IN A ROW like that."

I just wait until she's working Fri-Sat-Sun night shift, and remind her... "THIS is why I put up with working 5 days in a row."

BS Mechanical Engineer but I work in the Civil Field....sorta

I work as a CM for a small startup doing work in the Biotech/Pharma world. I'm fairly new at it but, it is funny seeing all the same tanks, fittings, automation, controls used in both pharma and brewing. Makes finding pre-passivated 304 SS and copper parts and pieces extremely easily and I guess people who can weld all of it as well.

I live in a town that sees hundreds of geology students on spring break every year, mostly visiting Carlsbad Caverns. This afternoon a busload of them from Ole Miss came into the grocery store I was shopping and headed for the beer cabinet. I was shocked to see one guy grab a sixer of Ballast Point, the rest went for the PBR, Bud Light and Corona. They turned out to be geological engineering students, not real geologists.

I live in a town that sees hundreds of geology students on spring break every year, mostly visiting Carlsbad Caverns. This afternoon a busload of them from Ole Miss came into the grocery store I was shopping and headed for the beer cabinet. I was shocked to see one guy grab a sixer of Ballast Point, the rest went for the PBR, Bud Light and Corona. They turned out to be geological engineering students, not real geologists.

Haha, I went to gly field camp in CO and UT in 2009 for a month hit up every brewery that I could when I was out there.

BSME here with a BA in Chemistry from UNC Charlotte. I am an engineer for an aerospace hydraulic conveyance manufacturer

Physical chemist here, but many years away from the lab. Maybe that's why I have taken up brewing.

BS Medical Technology '78 Michigan State. Never used it. Naval Flight Officer as first career then mentally abused children with an MS Ed focusing on math and science. Brewing is quiet, but fulfills my anal retentive and OCD tendencies.

A public safety engineer, hell who am I kidding been a cop for 30 years. Retiring this year but, the Irish in me drew me to good beer. Have a 3 1/2 barrel system in storage but, couldnt get the funding for my own brewery so it looks like my next job may be assisting with brewing at a local place.

Engineer by degree. Worked at Pratt & Whitney (Jet Engines), Pollak (Automotive supplier) and General Motors. Then joined the Navy and flew for 12 years.

Went back to engineering, working in the oil field, then did gov't contracting overseas.

Now an airline pilot.

Just changed careers! Spent most of my life as a “sales jockey” - traveled most of the world as a sales director in the tech field. Have lifetime status with United and Marriott. They love me.

I’m now in the financial world as an advisor. I go to bed every night in my own bed except when I stay in hotels and I’m on vacation with my wife!!

Retired master BMW tech. Also spent some time working at a Lamborghini/Lotus dealer and fixed the Fuji Film blimp once.

Went back to college, got a degree in finance and am now a behavioral investment counselor

Back